Coolant Overfilling

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
So what happens when you overfill the cooling system? I am trying to understand why coolant keeps coming out of what I thought was a bad reservoir cap. Under closer inspection I noticed that there is a little whole on the threaded neck filler neck of the reservoir. When ovetfilling the system ( by the crossover pipe ) id it normal for the coolant to come out of this little hole? No there is no air in system- burped it plenty of times. And the coolant only comes out when I fill water level into what I was thinking was full, but I think I was overfilling. It's either this I have a bad reservoir cap.

Last edited:

2004 REDFIRE

Established Member
im pretty sure that hole is there so when your cooling system overheats and expands thats where the coolant releases from when you hit the pressure point.(14psi??) for what its worth i just got done porting my s/c. when i put it back together it kept leaking out also. i burped and burped that dumb thing. finally i went cheapest route and replaced cap. NO MORE LEAK. i cant believe it was weak before s/c install but a new cap fixed it.

Users who are viewing this thread