Coolant over heating

raymond0601

Established Member
So I have a 1996 cobra and she’s been in and out of the shop a couple of times and when I got her back from the shop she was “burped” as the shop said , so I went around town and I got back into the drive way and coolant was leaking from the thermostat housing down below . And leaking some out of the cap . So we let her sit replaced the fan ccrm which was his excuse to the overheating . And she did it again same problem . So today I changed the thermostat and the burping method not sure if I put the thermostats in right but this was my only chance on gettting this car too work because the guy pretty much bailed on me even after I threw 1,000s of dollars into a shop and parts . Like everyone’s horrible night mear . But anyways I tried the burping method so I filled the reservoir all the way to the line then start putting coolant into the crossover plug like it said too do and it filled up so the reservoir and the crossover was topped so I started the egine and cranked the hot air and the bubbles started coming up but then she start leaking out of the reservoir and tstat again . I shut off the car and called it a night . But any help would be great you guys I’m about too blow this thing up ....

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
So I have a 1996 cobra and she’s been in and out of the shop a couple of times and when I got her back from the shop she was “burped” as the shop said , so I went around town and I got back into the drive way and coolant was leaking from the thermostat housing down below . And leaking some out of the cap . So we let her sit replaced the fan ccrm which was his excuse to the overheating . And she did it again same problem . So today I changed the thermostat and the burping method not sure if I put the thermostats in right but this was my only chance on gettting this car too work because the guy pretty much bailed on me even after I threw 1,000s of dollars into a shop and parts . Like everyone’s horrible night mear . But anyways I tried the burping method so I filled the reservoir all the way to the line then start putting coolant into the crossover plug like it said too do and it filled up so the reservoir and the crossover was topped so I started the egine and cranked the hot air and the bubbles started coming up but then she start leaking out of the reservoir and tstat again . I shut off the car and called it a night . But any help would be great you guys I’m about too blow this thing up ....

Remove the crossover tube cap. Start engine and let it bleed/burp the air out. Don't burp the 4v via the reservoir.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I tried that and it would only bubble so much before it got way too hot and it would start leaking out of the bottom thermostat and the cap of the reservoir .

Is the system full and free of any leaks? Does the fan click on?
If you are not on a level surface , or slightly tilted up, you may need to drive your car up on ramps or jack it up just a bit while burping the system. ALWAYS burp it via the coolant crossover plug.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the svtperformance.com mobile app

raymond0601

Established Member
Is the system full and free of any leaks? Does the fan click on?
If you are not on a level surface , or slightly tilted up, you may need to drive your car up on ramps or jack it up just a bit while burping the system. ALWAYS burp it via the coolant crossover plug.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yup did it all , she was jacked up when I did it and I went online and copied all the directions down and before I knew it like I said she was blowing coolant out of the reservoir cap and thermo housing after I just replaced w a 180 stat and yes actually just put a brand new ccrm in for my fan and it runs good but the fan light still comes on idk what’s that from I had the aftermarket one in it and another 1997 ccrm in it now that I got from a wrecked cobra so I have no clue what could possibly be wrong , .

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Thermostat is installed in the correct position too right? I know you mentioned you were not sure if it was in right.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Thermostat housing is leaking , need to fix that first , then move on to the coolant reservoir leak , before you will have any success at filling the system

96GT226410

Established Member
Thermostat housing is leaking , need to fix that first , then move on to the coolant reservoir leak , before you will have any success at filling the system

This is correct. First step I'd to fix the thermostat housing leak. When you install the thermostat make sure to put the hole at the 12:00 position. After that is fixed see if the cap leak has stopped.

raymond0601

Established Member
This is correct. First step I'd to fix the thermostat housing leak. When you install the thermostat make sure to put the hole at the 12:00 position. After that is fixed see if the cap leak has stopped.

Alright I will see what happens , as I said she’s back in the shop right now I hear back from them today and go from there . But those were my problems I just hope my head aren’t blown :/

CzchMex

Established Member
How long did you leave it running while burping?

When I burp mine it will run for a good 20 mins with the crossover unplugged. Yes you will have a lot of coolant leak out but that is because the trapped air rushes to the crossover burp spot and pushes some coolant out.

You want to run the car to the operating temp of the tstat. Which in this case would the be 180 you installed. I still have the factory tstat (which is 210 I think).

Once you have it running for that long (making sure to keep filling the spots where the coolant level drops) cap the crossover. Then shut it off. After that you will notice that the reservoir will drop it's level while cooling. Keep filling it as it drops until the car is cool.

Once cool the level at the reservoir will sit and the "C" mark and you're done.

Burping these cars isn't a fill and done process.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread