Coolant on the ground after driving

mikes35

Established Member
The last couple of times I've driven my car I have noticed that coolant is on the ground in my carport on the drivers side. It's not a whole lot. The car is not overheating. Any suggestions as to what I should check? I can't seem to find where it is leaking. Thanks

Imatk

Established Member
Have you had your heat exchanger changed lately?

The main radiator hose is on the passenger side, but the heat exchanger hoses might be the culprit.

There is one below the fill tank (smaller tank on the driver's side) and going from the fill tank to your engine.

I've done two installs of those things and the first one I used their straight hose and a larger coolant tank (Roush) and found that the straight hose kinked at the turn from the heat exchanger going to the tank.

I used a coupler and some hose clamps to help it.

With my new car I kept the stock hose and tank since it doesn't have an issue with kinking and was a higher quality hose.

Imatk

Established Member
Good point.. if it's clear... water... then that's normal. Although the AC compressor is on the opposite side (passenger side) and that's usually what drips from condensation... at least on mine.

mikes35

Established Member
Usually water is on the passenger side if its AC, haven't really studied much under the hood on this car yet. I think I found the culprit. It looks to be below the bottom radiator hose. I tried to tighten the clamp but it appeared to be pretty tight already. Hopefully just the little extra tightening will solve it. If not, I'll need to look a little further.

fullsizeoutput_479.jpeg

Imatk

Established Member
From your picture it looks like someone has installed aftermarket parts.

Those wormclamps aren't stock on our cars.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You might want to crawl under and see if you can see telltale traces of coolant. If you have a way to pressurize the system, that's even better. Pumping it up to 15 psi should reveal where the leak is occurring. If it's only happening under pressure, it's likely a coolant hose. There are a number of possibilities. Be sure to check the coolant lines to the oil filter adapter and the exterior piping to the rear of the engine in close proximity.

Users who are viewing this thread