Coolant Leaking From Expansion tank

Johngreg

Established Member
Hi there, I have a leak on my intercooler expansion tank, not at the cap but the on the outer ring of where the allens are screwed in? Is there a gasket you can replace? Or any repair you can do? Or do I have to replace the tank?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
You could just make your own gasket. As long as you have the patience to cut it. Here's another option.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone just have the part number or spec for the cap O-ring? I'd hate to waste $80 to just get a new O-ring.

Woddo0830

Established Member
Does anyone know why these fuel tank caps leak so much antifreeze and if anyone has used any kind of silicon gasketing before securing the rubber gasket and cap?

olympic

Established Member
When those o-rings fail, they allow boost pressure into the IC system which then forces coolant out the weakest point which is usually the tank cap. If your car seems to only leak when you get into boost then these o-rings are likely leaking.

If you're sure there is something wrong with the cap then maybe contact LFP about a replacement. Silicone should not be needed with the gasket.

Woddo0830

Established Member
When those o-rings fail, they allow boost pressure into the IC system which then forces coolant out the weakest point which is usually the tank cap. If your car seems to only leak when you get into boost then these o-rings are likely leaking.

If you're sure there is something wrong with the cap then maybe contact LFP about a replacement. Silicone should not be needed with the gasket.

Woddo0830

Established Member
Thank you for info. Very much appreciated. It was fine w no signs of anything at all with the old plastic tank. Just changed because I hated the look of the plastic factory tank. It only started when I put the the LFP tank on. I’m gonna start with replacing the rubber gasket and move on from there. Car only has 29k miles. Are they prone to failing? I’m new to the supercharger world so I appreciate all the info.

Woddo0830

Established Member

Thank you for info. Very much appreciated. It was fine w no signs of anything at all with the old plastic tank. Just changed because I hated the look of the plastic factory tank. It only started when I put the the LFP tank on. I’m gonna start with replacing the rubber gasket and move on from there. Car only has 29k miles. Are they prone to failing? I’m new to the supercharger world so I appreciate all the info.

olympic

Established Member
Yeah it sounds like the gasket is the place to start. Good luck getting it sorted out! The IC O-rings aren't a common failure, usually it's guys running much higher than stock boost that have issues. But it's something to keep in mind if they are original on a 17 year old car.

Woddo0830

Established Member
Yeah it sounds like the gasket is the place to start. Good luck getting it sorted out! The IC O-rings aren't a common failure, usually it's guys running much higher than stock boost that have issues. But it's something to keep in mind if they are original on a 17 year old car.
I definitely will. My car is mostly stock besides some exhaust, CAI and pulleys. I’ll start w a gasket and also called LFP but they have been slow to message back. One other question, any signs of them o rings failing to keep an eye out for besides the cap? Thanks again for all your help.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I definitely will. My car is mostly stock besides some exhaust, CAI and pulleys. I’ll start w a gasket and also called LFP but they have been slow to message back. One other question, any signs of them o rings failing to keep an eye out for besides the cap? Thanks again for all your help.

I just got a cap kit from them. Used email, got back with in a day. It comes with everything to put it back together. Just haven't got mine on yet. Think it was $50 bones, including shipping

Users who are viewing this thread