coolant leak in rear engine valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystic venom

Established Member
While Changing out the oil pan gasket and had engine raised and supported and k member lowered, while putting everything back together seen coolant was leaking out of the inspection hole at rear of block directly above rear main, so question is what could be leaking into the block valley, heater hoses? or intercooler, could i have snapped ahose by lifting engine 2- 3 inches? will start pulling supercharger and intercooler tomorrow. not leaking outside of block only in the engine valley. any ideas or pics are appreciated.

whitemachine

Established Member
check your crossover tube when those orings go bad it will leak out of there and leak back towards the back of the engine had that issue myself check that before you start pulling stuff off to save yourself the headache

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
I had a leak there and it turned out to be the same problem as whitemachine posted. I had to pull the supercharger and lower intake to get to it.

mystic venom

Established Member
check your crossover tube when those orings go bad it will leak out of there and leak back towards the back of the engine had that issue myself check that before you start pulling stuff off to save yourself the headache

:beer: have one one me, exactly what it was on the passenger side, being im doing lfp radiator, heat exhanger fans and supercharger port , ill be in there anyway, thanks for the heads up.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
:beer: have one one me, exactly what it was on the passenger side, being im doing lfp radiator, heat exhanger fans and supercharger port , ill be in there anyway, thanks for the heads up.

How did you determine this... I have had a leak all driving season but it is so random it is driving me nuts! I cannot figure out where to start.I know it is on the back of the motor but cannot quite see where it is coming from. Any help would be appreciated. What did you do to diagnose it?:bored:

I have put pressure in the coolant system and it wont leak, I have gone weeks with nothing. Just cant seem to figure it out!

Thanks!

mystic venom

Established Member

i could see where it was leaking past the o ring on the passenger side especially when I moved the cross over tube, i just ordered another one 90 bucks from tousley ford, the o rings wear out, but I induced it when I had the engine supported from the top by where I attached the chain , to the bolt that the crossover tube is directly above and it put pressure on it and cocked it at a angle. there is also a coolant line that runs in the valley under the intake manifold from the rear of the engine back to the water pump. Either that or head gasket it but you'd probally be running hot and see it in your oil. Course pulling the supercharger and intake manifold opens it up where you can see what is going on.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
Its weird. It doesnt always leak it only leaks when it cools down (it seems) and when the heat is on (it seems). I have looked and cannot see much of anything. It hasnt leaked in 3 weeks and then the other day my GF was cold so I turned the heat on. :bash: Sure enough 2 days later there was a puddle, the size of your hand. When an O ring fails does it leak all the time?

I have a head cooling mod but that doesnt seem to be the issue either. I am beyond stumped! Ive even taken it in to the local high performance mechanic and he found nothing. I Just dont know what to do now?!?

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Which head cooling mod do you have? Before the leak started happening, did you fill or refill your cooling system for any reason?

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
Which head cooling mod do you have? Before the leak started happening, did you fill or refill your cooling system for any reason?

I have the Lethal Performance Gen 2 Cooling mod

The leak I am not sure when it started. I noticed that it was low and topped it off in the res. Than one day after a short drive home I was pulling into my drive way and my res was blowing over. So I changed the cap and it did it again, changed the thermostat and burped the system and it was gold. Ever since then there has been a random leak. I can drive miles and nothing but than one day there will be a random puddle there. Just plain weird, I have heard it hitting my headers on occasion and by the pictures in my garage it seems to be on the drivers side. :cryying:

Last edited:

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
It could be that your coolant system is overfilled if the random leaking happens after the car has been running and is shutdown. At this time the water temp will rise as the engine heat soaks. Instead of leaking out of the newly replaced reservoir cap, it’s leaking from somewhere else. How full is the reservoir when the engine is completely cool? I removed coolant from my reservoir until I saw it go just below the fill line. No problems here.

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
I'll try that.... Parking the car this weekend and going to really sit down and take a look in the next coming weeks, I am soooo stumped. Ill try anything!

Johngreg

Established Member
I’ve performed coolant pressure test at 16psi left it for one hour, did not drop at all. Drove the car for two days, no leaks. Took the car out last night, drove it and still had no leaks when I parked it. Woke up next morning to a small puddle size of my hand. Reservoir still hasn’t dropped. I performed the leathal Gen 2 head cooling mod and burped the cooling system, before this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread