Coolant leak behind engine

mystic venom

Established Member
Need help on my 03, currently installed expansion tanks for coolant and intercooler, 170thermostat and heat exchanger. While performing the burping procedure coolant was leaking behind engine on ground, coolant level in tank looks normal, intercooler resivoir was bout half empty so looks like it's something with the intercooler fluid. What does this route to other than intercooler, cant see any leaks from up top. Looking for input.

Ironhand

Banned
Passenger head has a fitting on the back of it. Might be leaking from there or the A/C lines above it.

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
Passenger head has a fitting on the back of it. Might be leaking from there or the A/C lines above it.

+1 the pass side head will leak plus driver side but inless u did a head cooling mod shouldnt be a out of the blue prob. now mine leaks too to from the back of engine on pass side but its from a small hole in the firewall its from the a/c and it dose it when i have the a/c on or off but its only right after i get done driving and its very very little. it sound like just the exhaust poping from being hot but its a small penny size grommet drain hole from a/c. other than that the exchanger tank only feeds the cooler under the blower then come right back out to the front of the car.

mystic venom

Established Member
I think that while following the burping procedure my funnel wasn't the screw in type and coolant was getting by the funnel out of the crossover tube and probally running back, I'm gonna put the cap on let everything dry out and let her idle tomorrow and see what happens, as far as the intercooler resivoir being half empty it was probally just the pump cycling and pumping the fluid to the intercooler and just need to top it off.

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
ya sounds like thats ur prob. as far as exchanger tank u can cycle your water and fill ur tank by jumping you relay under the hood by you pass. side strut tower in the little black box. i do it to burp i guess you can say the he tank and when @ the track to help cool down.

MyStIcHrOmE 04

NEED MORE HP!!!
Established Member
I am having this same issue, but I didn't think that much coolant leaked out between the funnel and the crossover. I have dyno time tomorrow, and I am trying to get this fixed tonight. Any more thoughts? I do have the gen II head cooling mod, but it isn't leaking... What hould I do here? Coolant is slowly dripping from behind the motor and out of the inspection plate of the Tranny....

black 10th vert

Established Member
If you have any coolant that you spill while filling the crossover tube (like burping), or a leak from the IC block that bolts to the front of the lower intake, that is where the coolant will end up draining out (in the rear of the engine). This is because of the airspace under the lower intake.

Users who are viewing this thread