Coolant leak at bell housing help

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
Just got the car all back together and started just fine with only one leak coolant at about a drip every 3 sec at the seam on the engine and bell housing. All this work after pulling the motor and replacing head gaskets cleaning everything and this. I don't want to just start pulling it back apart. Any ideas.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

ctgreddy

Established Member
you're gonna have to try and take as good of a look as you can at the rear area and see if you can see it dripping down anywhere. Could be the rear of the head gaskets or the rear of where the supercharger/intake is.

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
Don't see anything at the heads or back of the sc area

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
check all your coolant stuff, including the crossover. I re-used the oring on the crossover with my mach, all this coolant started hitting the ground at the back of the motor, thought I was gonna cry. It was leaking at the front of the motor, running to the back and down the back of the block so check everything!

hope its something easy for ya!

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
New o rings on the crossover. I spent 2months taking it down to everything but the pistons and crank.

Last edited:

71catruck

Established Member
I had this same problem with mine when I put the new motor in. Turned out it was the heater core dripping out the drain for the a/c. Fixed that then it was the o-rings for the cross over and the line for the heater core that runs under the intake manifold. They were leaking out of drain hole right in the back of the valley. Those 2 would be my guess.

71catruck

Established Member
the pipe under the manifold i actually couldnt find an o-ring that fit well and didnt want to wait to order one so i cut off the flared part of the pipe and used a 1.5 leanth of heater hose i think it was 3/4 diameter cant remember and sliped it over the fitting and the pipe then clamped it on worked great. and i trust it more than the o-rings i had.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
did you burp it, if so if may just be some coolant during the burping process....I've seen it on mine, where it appears to be leaking near the rear of the motor. I usually have a towel near the funnel for filling on the top port, but I have had to burp it at a rest area with out the aid of towels to catch overflow, after blowing a fan fuse, and coolant was coming out at bell housing like you mention...

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Do you have a head cooling mod? I bought a USB boroscope for $40 and was able to shove it under the lower intake when I was looking for a coolant leak. This would allow you to see if it's coming from that area. You can also get behind the motor with it and check some things out.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I as well had a leak at the crossover o-rings causing coolant to run down and leak from the back of the motor. Even if the o-rings are new look and make sure you didnt pinch one.

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
Didn't see anything there but I will check again tonight. I'm thinking about putting dye in the coolant to help also

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
Do you have a head cooling mod? I bought a USB boroscope for $40 and was able to shove it under the lower intake when I was looking for a coolant leak. This would allow you to see if it's coming from that area. You can also get behind the motor with it and check some things out.
Yes I have a cooling mod. I just put it on, it's not leaking. I trying to get my hands on a bore scope now.

cj428mach

Established Member
my vote is for the tube off the back of the water pump. When my pcv hose on the bottom of the intake manifold blew the oil would fill up in the valley of the block then leak out the plastic plug and come out on the bell housing area.

Anabolic

Banned

could you link me to one. I wanna buy one & couldn't see one for 40$.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Thankyou! how is it?! hooks up to computer right?

Yeah I hook it up to my laptop. Works great so far, easy to install and use. The lights on the end of it aren't super bright but they get the job done. Great value for $40.

DrakeSnake

Semper Fi
Established Member
Took a second look and ran it up to temp with no leaks. Test drive was perfect and running great. 500 miles to brake in the clutch and then I will see what she's got. I'm a happy guy right now. I'm going to be happy to go to work tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread