Coolant Issues

Cemtex

Established Member
I recently refilled, burped my coolant system on my 96 cobra, and replaced the reservoir cap when my motor got hot about a month ago (and figured out it was excess air in the system).

I finally took the car for a drive after doing the work and heard (and later confirmed) that the reservoir cap will still squirt and push out a little bit of coolant if the motor is under load. The temp gauge never went above the O and R (which is about normal for the year I have owned my car). Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat or is it more air trying to exit the cooling system?

crazycarlo

Established Member
It's either air in the system trying to escape or when your car overheated it may have deformed the place where the cap screws on. I'd try rebutting first. If you can and or didn't before drive your car on ramps then burp.

Cemtex

Established Member
When I burped the car I put it on a slight incline as what I read online. I just came back from checking the coolant levels of the car. The reservoir cap was holding pressure and hissed squirted a little when I opened it (car is ice cold and has not been on for 24 hours). Level is at normal level, same goes with the crossover cap.

I think you may be right about air still being in the system. Thankfully my apartment complex has a pretty steep incline where a dumpster used to sit so I think I might use that again to further purge air out of the system.

Cemtex

Established Member
I just put the car on a good incline and top off the system from the crossover. I barely had the car on for a minute and when I took off the cap it spit and shot out coolant when I loosened the cap. I was able to get a bit more coolant in and it was burping out some air until it stopped, which I then put the crossover cap on and put the car back in its parking spot.

Am I missing anything in this? I just want to make sure the air is out and it does not push out any more coolant from the cap.

laddanator

Established Member

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I recommend everyone with a 96-98 Cobra to invest in one of these tools

UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

You force the coolant in with an air compressor thru the reservoir and you don't have to **** with that cross over tube plug. Takes the guess work as well if you have trapped air. With this tool and method, no trapped air at all on the first shot. No burping required.

damn straight, I've got one from MAC tools and it's a blessing to use

laddanator

Established Member
damn straight, I've got one from MAC tools and it's a blessing to use

You're the one that pointed me in that direction and I've been meaning to thank you! I wish I could have got the MAC one but I feel the one in the Amazon link is ok as well.

Cemtex

Established Member
I was suggested one of those tools before. My only issue with it is I do not have access to an air line where I live.

iamtheshaner

IH84DZ
Established Member
4v motors are a PITA to burp. The degas bottle isnt the highest point in the cooling system. I remember a TSB being like 3 pages long regarding burp recommendations. Involved using the instrument cluster diag mode to read a ECT degree, jacking the front end up a specified amount, once the engine was a certain temp to fill it from the pipe plug in the crossover with the RPM elevated while you rub your belly and pat your head while standing on one foot.

.....Or use a vacuum filler

laddanator

Established Member
4v motors are a PITA to burp. The degas bottle isnt the highest point in the cooling system. I remember a TSB being like 3 pages long regarding burp recommendations. Involved using the instrument cluster diag mode to read a ECT degree, jacking the front end up a specified amount, once the engine was a certain temp to fill it from the pipe plug in the crossover with the RPM elevated while you rub your belly and pat your head while standing on one foot.

.....Or use a vacuum filler

I second the rub your belly and pat your head while standing on one foot also while using the vacuum filler! :-D

laddanator

Established Member
Any of you guys have a link or part number for the MAC version?

With all things, sometimes you pay for the name. I don't own both tools to do a side by side comparison but I bet the Mac version is twice if not three times as much as the one in the Amazon link.

Users who are viewing this thread