Coolant Issues AGAIN

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
Okay, I posted up a month or so concerning my coolant woes. Without warning I puked out all my coolant and started to overheat. Well to make a long story short, I had the radiator and intercooler pump replaced, and had the radiator and intercooler cleaned out as well. She has been running mint for the past month ever since.

So today I drive the car for maybe a total of 20 minutes, get home and start replacing a fog bulb. While Im under there I notice a steady trickle of liquid and I automatically assume its coolant. Pop the hood and sure enough, the pressure cap is dribbling coolant out again. I didnt lose everything put its definitely leaking and Im worried about it puking out again. I also didnt seem to be overheating yet. Ive been paranoid since I had this fixed and always have my eye on the temp gauge and everything seemed normal today. It sat where it always sits, slightly under halfway. Which reminds me that yesterday after maybe 30-40 mins of hw driving it went slightly over halfway, but it was a very hot day and I figured with the highway time I was just soaking a bit.

WTF is going wrong now?!? I have an interview at 3 and I have to drive half an hour to get there and normally I would use my gfs car but she is unavailable. Im afraid to drive the car now and for the life of me I cannot understand wtf is wrong now. Ideas?

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
If the reservoir cap(s) wasn't/weren't replaced the first time it puked, you should know that this often ruins the cap. In some cases, the threads on the reservoir tank(s) can also deform when coolant flows around them. Replace the caps at the least, but check the tanks threads for deformation.

Burping this car can be a bear.

The coolant level for the radiator reservoir was modified by Ford, though this is not widely known. 5/8" BELOW the stock embossed line is the correct fill line.

If you have time, with the car off, crack the filler on the crossover tube until water starts to stream out. Don't completely remove it, just lossen it enough to insure all the access air is out. Fill the reservoir to the aforementioned level. Completely remove your heat extractor vents from the hood to maximize heat extraction and stay on the highway as long as you can. Crank the heat (I know, it will be hot) and watch the temp gauge like a hawk.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
The cap was replaced and the car burped by a very reliable local Terminator tech (Rick for the New England guys). The car has gone a little over a month with no issues, and Ive done a couple long hw drives and hard pulls and noticed nothing. This just snuck up on me today.

Sometimes you have to replace the radiator expansion tank after an overheating episode. They tend to have sealing issues after overheating. I'm assuming you still have the oem radiator expansion tank.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
Sometimes you have to replace the radiator expansion tank after an overheating episode. They tend to have sealing issues after overheating. I'm assuming you still have the oem radiator expansion tank.

I do. I just found it strange Ive gone this long without issues.

Go with a new radiator tank then as that could be the source of your problem if its still spitting coolant with a new radiator cap. Also I didn't see you mentione this...did they remove the t-stat and boil it to see if its opening?

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
Go with a new radiator tank then as that could be the source of your problem if its still spitting coolant with a new radiator cap. Also I didn't see you mentione this...did they remove the t-stat and boil it to see if its opening?

I dont know about the boiling but the old one was definitely stuck closed. It was replaced however.

cobracide

Established Member
Gauges and gauges. Monitor.. Always fill from the crossover when having cooling issues or doing a flush. Changed my Ford Green to Gold for less maintenance.

Last edited:

timbo3282

Established Member
The cap was replaced and the car burped by a very reliable local Terminator tech (Rick for the New England guys). The car has gone a little over a month with no issues, and Ive done a couple long hw drives and hard pulls and noticed nothing. This just snuck up on me today.

No matter how reliable the mechanic is, the burping procedure is VERY particular on the 03-04 Cobras. I've seen 2 very similar procedures have 2 totally different results.

Make sure this procedure is followed TO THE LETTER:

Ford 4.6L DOHC Coolant Refill & Burp Procedure by Reische Performance Products

If it isn't followed TO THE LETTER (I can't stress that enough) YOU WILL overheat.

Also, use tap water (not distilled) and some Royal Purple Purple Ice (use the correct amount too much will NOT make the car run cooler) for maximum corrosion protection and cooling performance. Distilled water in a system with poor grounding like the Cobras leads to more cathodic corrosion faster.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Sitnlopro99gt

Established Member
I had the same problem with a friends car ending up being the stock expansion tank was giving him problems after overheating must have wrecked the seals on it. I replaced with canton and burp the system been find since. Let me know if you need a hand. Dan-

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
Im in the process of burping it. Tomorrow Ill run it out and see what she does. If it doesnt go well Im getting a new tank.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
Well the crossover plug would not budge and started to strip so I couldnt properly burp it. I just tried the normal method through the reservoir and its still popping. I just wanted to get enough coolant in so get it 10-15 mins up the road to Ford but I dont even think I can manage that. It has to be the cap because I can hear bubbling through it and it no longer screws in tight and clicks into place. That sound about right? Hopefully I can buy my THIRD cap and get this bitch going, but unfortunately I cant properly burp it without a way to get the crossover plug out.

Starting to hate this car.

Well the crossover plug would not budge and started to strip so I couldnt properly burp it. I just tried the normal method through the reservoir and its still popping. I just wanted to get enough coolant in so get it 10-15 mins up the road to Ford but I dont even think I can manage that. It has to be the cap because I can hear bubbling through it and it no longer screws in tight and clicks into place. That sound about right? Hopefully I can buy my THIRD cap and get this bitch going, but unfortunately I cant properly burp it without a way to get the crossover plug out.

Starting to hate this car.

Hang in there bud. I understand your frustration as I've been through your issues many times. One of the first things I ever did when I experienced overheating issues was putting an aluminum expansion tank. I also make it a habit to open up that crossover pluig every few months. You'll be alright. :beer:

cobracide

Established Member
Get the crossover cap on any way you have to. Pay a shop if need be. Someone over tightened it.

Last edited:

gat0r

Established Member
heat it up or try a pair of channellocks on it.
mine stripped out & channellocks worked for me.

i am getting a hex head replacement for mine

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
heat it up or try a pair of channellocks on it.
mine stripped out & channellocks worked for me.

i am getting a hex head replacement for mine

Tried a channel lock and it wouldnt budge. I just had it around the edges, if you have another method please let me know.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
So since the crossover plug was stripped and nothing I tried could get that plug off I brought it to Ford. They got it off, flushed the coolant and tried to burp the line and its still overheating. Of course they dont use the tried and true burp method I found here so Im just going to limp it back here and burp it myself and hopefully that works.

Im at the end of my rope with this thing. If the burp doesnt fix it Im going to have it towed to my local guy to fix up, and youll see it in the For Sale thread.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
You never said whether or not you raplaced the reservoir tank.

Are the fans working? Try turning on your A/C. If the fan doesn't kick on, check the fuse and or look into replacing the fan.

Is the air dam still in place on the car?

What is your definition of overheating? Water coming out of the expansion tank is not overheating.

Last edited:

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
You never said whether or not you raplaced the reservoir tank.

Are the fans working? Try turning on your A/C. If the fan doesn't kick on, check the fuse and or look into replacing the fan.

Is the air dam still in place on the car?

What is your definition of overheating? Water coming out of the expansion tank is not overheating.

Temp gauge maxes out, then the tank overflows. Coolant isnt circulating.

Fans are coming on.

Explain air dam?

Havent replaced the reservoir tank. But Ford doesnt use the proper burping technique so its only a ten minute drive from me and I will get it home today, burp it properly, and decide where to go from there. If it keeps up then Ill probably replace the tank. If that doesnt work..................who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread