Coolant issue

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
I hadn't been able to find anything on this, but the other day I was driving a bit hard and coolant seemed to have sprayed through the hood onto the windshield - car drives without any problems.. but when I popped the hood - I have coolant all of the front of the engine... it almost looked as if it sprayed out of the back of the cap?? I didn't find any problems with any other parts/hoses or anything - going to call it in to Ford tomorrow when they're opened as it's under warranty, but has anyone ever had this happen? Almost seems like pressure got to the reservoir and it blew out through the lip...

mullens

Established Member
Happened on my Powerstroke. Turned out to be a blown head gasket. Cylinder pressure bypassed the gasket and backed up through the cooling system and came out the cap. I doubt that's the issue in your case these 5.8 HG are pretty stout. It could be something as simple as a bad cap. Let service figure it out.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I had that happen to my 08 GT500 after I switched to a different thermostat, but I blew off one of my radiator hoses. Do you still have the stock thermostat?

stutter

eat me
Established Member
I already know what you have and what is wrong. Same thing happened to me when I first got my car. The top fittings on the hoses right in front of the s/c are the problem. The clamps losses when you get on it. Normal driving is fine, but the vibration from the engine causes the clamps the losses just enough to spray. I took mine to ford a few times and they couldn't fix it....finally I told them to take the adj. clamps on the hoses of (just the 2 main ones) and replace with regular screw type hose clamps. Fixed it. Super simple but frustrating cus you think it's everything else. Like I said, it only happened to me when I got on it, sounds like the same thing. Replace the stupid pinch clamps with screw clamps and I guarantee it'll fix it!

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
The car is 100% stock, except my catback. Oil looks decent (based on the dip stick - no odd color or smell), I was thinking along Stutter's line originally, but it seems that the area of where the most coolant that blew off was, was right around the cap... doesn't make sense. All of the clamps and nearby hoses are more or less dry - it's all near the driverside front headlight in terms of the motor - by the coolant cap.. which looks a bit lower now - otherwise normal.

Garage floor is clean also.

Calling Ford this morning and will see what's going on... Just hope it's a stupid issue and not anything major. .. warrantied or not.

Last edited:

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
The car is 100% stock, except my catback. Oil looks decent (based on the dip stick - no odd color or smell), I was thinking along Stutter's line originally, but it seems that the area of where the most coolant that blew off was, was right around the cap... doesn't make sense. All of the clamps and nearby hoses are more or less dry - it's all near the driverside front headlight in terms of the motor - by the coolant cap.. which looks a bit lower now - otherwise normal.

Garage floor is clean also.

Calling Ford this morning and will see what's going on... Just hope it's a stupid issue and not anything major. .. warrantied or not.

xxkazp3rxx,

Let me know what you find out. If you need a hand, PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Ashley

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If you referring to the intercooler system reservoir, then your pump may not be working correctly. If it isn't, the coolant may be getting hot enough to get dumped at the cap. Take the cap off and start the car and watch the coolant for movement. Check the harness connections at the pump as well.

Zemedici

Established Member
Take the car to the dealer and stop listening to all these extraordinary potential diagnoses.

Keep us updated :beer:

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
Went to the dealer today.. they couldn't find anything wrong. Ran a few pressure tests on the coolant reservoir - and nothing. No other drips anywhere and everything he said drove well - couldn't find any negatives with the car. They chalked it up to the cap not being tight enough and the pressure kicking it through.

The car hasn't run hot and has been pretty strong. No other codes or anything of the nature to make them think anything else. I'll keep an eye on it... and see what else transpires, I think Stutter has it right to be quite honest.. especially since he had the same thing happen. If it acts up again, ill bring it back to them and ask them to replace the clamps. The final write-up also wasn't finished when I left (hurry to get back to work)... we'll see what the rest of it says, and maybe will throw over to Ashley to have her see anything on that side if it doesn't read right.

Thanks Guys.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
They chalked it up to the cap not being tight enough and the pressure kicking it through.

Again, are you referring to the intercooler system reservoir? Like the engine coolant reservoir, the cap(s) will only go on so tight, then they just click and turn. In order for the dealer to tell you the above, the first one to loosen the cap (I assume you didn't touch it?) would have been in a position to make note of the cap not being fully tightened.

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
When it happened Saturday night, I checked it, and it didn't seem loose, but it looked like that's where it came from.

My thoughts is if it was a mechanical failure on the cooling system - wouldn't have it shown when he sat pumping (he said) around 16 lbs if pressure for a solid half hour into the system to check for it while it was running??

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Listen to me, it's the clamps! The dealer did the same thing with me, they did the pressure testing and couldn't find anything. They replaced the the main coolant hose too and no fix. It's the two main clamps the go into the engine right in front of the s/c. I'm TELLING YOU, there's no visible signs, except some dry marks, and even that can't tell. Replace the clamps, clean the dry antifreeze off the engine, run it hard, and I GUARANTEE it will be fixed

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Please for the love of god, tell the dealer you want normal hose clamps. Lol. It was a ****ing nightmare for me until I found it then it was like WTF? Lol. Like I said, it's the clamps bro.

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Here is the pic. Notice they changed only 3. The leak only occurred on my right side. Have them change your clamps, you'll be good. Like I said, they did a pressure test too and couldn't find anything....changed these, and everything was fixed. Sometimes it's the simplest things!!!!
7b985b9b-4914-44f0-a59a-b397f9fa7b82.jpg

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
Stutter... I agree with you in terms of what happened. I asked them a few times and they seemed a bit reluctant to change them, I just didn't push the issue. If it happens again, I will bring it back to them and force the issue... I do think that's what happened.

Users who are viewing this thread