Coolant hose suching shut when engine is reved

Clubcart84

Established Member
While checking out coolant system on my 1996 cobra I noticed the coolant hose that comes off the thermostat housing and goes to a nipple by the oil filter was collapsing when I reved the engine. Is that normal or what could cause it to do it?

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
While checking out coolant system on my 1996 cobra I noticed the coolant hose that comes off the thermostat housing and goes to a nipple by the oil filter was collapsing when I reved the engine. Is that normal or what could cause it to do it?
So I would start with are you experiencing any weird symptoms when your car is running? Overheating or just generally running hotter than usual? Secondly, I'd make sure the cooling system is bled. Also, are you running a thermostat?

nomoretickets

Established Member
Cooling hose collapsing is for sure not normal. Id start by bleeding the system, replacing all the old rubber hoses, and then properly filling and burping your cooling system.

railroad

Established Member
24 year old hose is soft. Some hoses have internal steel coils to prevent this. Others rely on the rigidness of the new hose.
Burping and fluid have nothing to do with this issue.
Constrictions in the radiator flow can increase the potential for this to happen.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
24 year old hose is soft. Some hoses have internal steel coils to prevent this. Others rely on the rigidness of the new hose.
Burping and fluid have nothing to do with this issue.
Constrictions in the radiator flow can increase the potential for this to happen.

What he said.
Replace the hose.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Check the overflow tank and hose going to it. Make sure there is no restrictions or clogs. Maybe even replace that hose as well, as it may be collapsing as well.

railroad

Established Member
With engine warm, remove the filler cap and try it. If it does not collapse, you have a restriction. It could be the radiator clogged up or the thermostat.

railroad

Established Member
Was the lower hose collapsing before you changed the radiator and stat? Is the car running hot? Does the hose open up, after sustained 2000 rpm?
Did the stat have a bleed hole in it? If it is giving you problems you might want to test the stat in some hot water. It needs to open all the way. Let us know what you have changed, ie we just now know you added parts to the game.
Should be something simple. Let us know.

Clubcart84

Established Member
The lower hose stays sucked in if I Hold 2500 rpms for a little time. The hose from the tank is open and does not suck shut at all. Is it possible the thermostat can be put in backwards? When warming up the top hose stays cool until around 195 then the stat opens and the top hose get hot and flows to the opposite side and that side gets hot. At around 210 the fan comes on and cools to 195ish.

railroad

Established Member
...sounds like the thermostat is right. The hot coolant in the engine opens it. The pump pulls the hot coolant into the rad, rad cools it and pump sucks it back into the engine.
The thermostat may not be opening all the way. Only way I know to check is to put in a pan of water and boil.
Second possibility is the radiator is restricting flow.
Is your rad a name brand?
You might leave the thermostat out and see how it does.
Not that you would want to run it without it.
Can you post a pic of the hose that is collapsing?
I am picturing your lower rad hose collapsing, but your op confuses me about which hose it is.

Clubcart84

Established Member
radiator is Spectra, 3 row aluminum. The hose that collapses is the one that goes from the from the thermostats housing to the block in front of the oil filter. pics would be hard to take

railroad

Established Member
OK ruling out the rad, it seems somewhere in the hose that collapses, it cannot draw from its intended source.
Does the hose run to an oil cooler? What ever it runs to, its feed side must be constricted. I will google the cooling system for a 96 GT 4.6 and see what I can find.
I am guessing you have some corrosion build up in the aluminum somewhere.
Just wondering, does the lower rad hose also collapse during constant rpm when warm?

railroad

Established Member
Not seeing a good diagram, but I am thinking the hose in question is a coolant by pass hose. This lets the pump have a source until the thermostat opens. Where it connects to the block could be blocked or restricted.
If this sounds possible, let me know. I still need to find a better diagram. I do not have a 4.6 2v available to look at.

Clubcart84

Established Member
Yes its good and does not suck in at all. Found a diagram for a 03 4v and the hose sucking in is from the top nipple on the thermostate housing to the oil cooler

Users who are viewing this thread