Coolant drain/flush/fill and oil change

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I bought my latest Terminator about a year ago. I just did a coolant drain/flush/fill of both systems (It may have been the car’s 1st) and did an oil change.

Discovered an interesting tidbit... the hose clamps on the intercooler system were not installed correctly. Both of the clamps were locked fully opened and were just lightly sitting in place. Fortunately neither supply or return hose popped off in the last 14 years. The factory hose clamps are a spring-type that has a lock in the full-open position. I’m sure this allows for easy installation at the factory, but you have to make sure to release the lock to apply the clamping pressure.

8419_A863-_EBD6-452_D-_B45_B-065_AA463_B74_A.jpg

Engine coolant lower hose disconnected for draining:

5_FE12337-_C665-4_F5_C-9900-6_DD4_CD5_A5_CC8.jpg

Radiator drain:

B4_BD7_DD5-4448-4546-87_F3-0_FF84_D998524.jpg

The two intercooler lines that had the clamps locked fully open... I removed the bottom hose for draining and properly applied the hose clamps when done:

7_B73967_C-_AD13-4_E0_D-8_C88-1_B8944_BA4_CAB.jpg

At this point I filled both systems with straight distilled water and ran the car up to temp to include operating the heater to get water into the heater core. I then drained both coolant systems again and moved on to the oil.

Drained the oil and removed the filter using a piece of cardboard to deflect the filter oil:

A60849_B4-_C3_BF-45_B2-_A7_CA-7697_B696_B6_D7.jpg

Next up was a trip to Walmart to get a Motorcraft 820S filter and 6 quarts of 5W-20 Mobile 1 oil. The 93 hadn’t been driven for a few months, so out it came!

B47001_E7-_AF14-42_C7-8_DEF-92_EE26_F8391_C.jpg

I filled the engine coolant through the crossover tube. I used 50/50 Motorcraft Gold/distilled water in both systems.

3_DBC8_B0_C-_A3_D4-4340-988_C-_E30822_E6_E8_B2.jpg

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Your camera sure takes good pics!!

I like the cardboard for the Filter change! I will be using that from now on.....

I hate the factory hose clamps. They work good and fast for the installer but not for the guy owning the car 15 plus years!!

Good info thanks!

bigmoose

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the coolant flow through the heater core all the time regardless of the heat settings? As far as I know the heat settings just move dampers.

Goose17

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the coolant flow through the heater core all the time regardless of the heat settings? As far as I know the heat settings just move dampers.

Not sure with the Terminators. I was just using knowledge from other cars that had flush instructions to include selecting full hot to flush the heater core.

@ccq8le I used my iPhone X and some lighting to take the pics.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Soooooo.....

I am not Captain Planet or anything, but whats the disposal procedure for the old coolant now days? I have accumulated 10 gallons or so I need to dispose of, and just want to do whats the best avail option to me.

Guys at work say pour down the toilet if on a treatment system (sewer). I just am curious as to what you guys do. To my know how none of my local auto parts stores take it.

Goose17

Established Member
Soooooo.....

I am not Captain Planet or anything, but whats the disposal procedure for the old coolant now days? I have accumulated 10 gallons or so I need to dispose of, and just want to do whats the best avail option to me.

Guys at work say pour down the toilet if on a treatment system (sewer). I just am curious as to what you guys do. To my know how none of my local auto parts stores take it.

I dropped 4 gallons off today at my local Jiffy Lube. I called before going and they said they would take it. I took some oil and coolant to another auto repair shop last week. They took the oil, but said they wouldn’t take the coolant. Then one of the techs came out and said he would take it to use in his truck.

Call around and ask.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Soooooo.....

I live in a smaller area, but my city dump has a once a year hazardous fluid disposal week. So might be another option.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Soooooo.....

I’ve heard fire stations take coolant..

Great looking car Tim! Think it was original coolant with such low miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I looked into it more and found that my County Waste Facility in my area will take it.

The only issue with it for me is they don't give the container back and I have mine in a really nice DOT type Plastic Drum that I for sure want to keep (I usually store gasoline for the generator in it).

I will have to be saving up my milk jugs and or go buy some of those store drinking water containers.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Goose17

Established Member
I’ve heard fire stations take coolant..

Great looking car Tim! Think it was original coolant with such low miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very possible. It looked clean, but the car only has 4400 miles. I’m guessing it was the factory fill.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
I read on this bob oil forum . They say motorcraft oil filter media is tear . I’m currently running wix xp platinum

HPLouis

Established Member
Very possible. It looked clean, but the car only has 4400 miles. I’m guessing it was the factory fill.
Same with the fluid on my 2700 mile convertible. When I changed it 1000 miles later, it looked brand new, but when I used a coolant tester, it showed the it was depleted.

Goose17

Established Member
I read on this bob oil forum . They say motorcraft oil filter media is tear . I’m currently running wix xp platinum

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I’ve used Wix filters before... good stuff.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
sorry been long day, what i try to say is, i read on other oil forum, that peoples report , purolator ( they also made motorcraft ) , there oil filter having media tearing issue. that alow dirt or what ever by pass thru. I just switch over to wix xp platium synthetic media with wire back.

Goose17

Established Member
sorry been long day, what i try to say is, i read on other oil forum, that peoples report , purolator ( they also made motorcraft ) , there oil filter having media tearing issue. that alow dirt or what ever by pass thru. I just switch over to wix xp platium synthetic media with wire back.

Ahhhh, thanks for clarifying. I went with a Motorcraft filter on my Terminator because it’s a show car that doesn’t get driven very often. I wanted a Ford filter on it for “show.”

Users who are viewing this thread