Coolant Drain and Refill

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Read the Shelby owners manual supplement and it indicates after draining the coolant, you simply add coolant to the reservoir (I have the Moroso rad reservoir and intercooler reservoir), start the car till you can feel the upper hose is hot (T-stat open), then shut car off, let cool, ,check coolant level in reservoir and repeat as necessary. From what I read, this car takes about 21 quarts of 50/50 mix, so seems to me it might take a while to do this procedure??

Having owned older Cobra's (98 & 04), the cooling drain and refill was a much more complicated procedure (air pockets common if not done right), hence my question.

barspen

Established Member
You will most likely get air pockets. I just squeezed the ever living piss out of the hoses to push the air out. Seemed to work pretty good. Others burp the system by opening the radiator cap and bringing it up to temp.

A better method is to use radiator vacuum/filler kit.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've drained mine to remove the radiator a few times now. I've just let the car idle and reach operating temperature and shut it down and let it cool down and added more coolant. I added a little more coolant each time I did a warm up cycle and it cools fine. I am running a big ass C&R radiator, but I don't think that's a benefit/issue on the refill process.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Our GT500s are closed cooling systems meaning the reservoir is a pressured part. Best to fill to the full level until you don't see any more air pockets escaping. Then start the car, let it come up to operating temp with the cap off the reservoir. Top off coolant as needed during this time. I like to rev my engine to about 1500-2000 RPM and hold for a few minutes, occasionally shutting of the car to let any air pockets continue to travel.

When youre satisfied the car is burped, recap and let it cool to ambient. Check coolant level cold, fill to full and drive. Recheck level after next cooling cycle and check for leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread