coolant crossover tube

lastexit99

Established Member
ok since my car will be going back in the garage in a month or so, I think I'm going to R & R the coolant crossover tube. Mine is rusted and I wanna clean it up and getting painted. Having never removed it before can someone point me to a guide online on how to do this?

Thanks.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i would imagine its similar to the one on a mach or cobra....

on the pass side of the radiator is the drain plug, get a pan and drain some coolant out.

disconnect the 2 hoses to the cross over.

remove the bracket from the crossover to the alternator

theres a bolt where each tube meets the block, remove those

prepare to swear a LOT as you wiggle, shake, rattle and roll the thing all over the place to get it up out of the block. WARNING: if its very rusted you may damage it! I removed one on a car that had been running straight water for NHRA events and the crossover was ruined, ended up using a telescoping magnet to clean the metal pieces out of the block best I could

also you need to get 2 new orings, theyre ford specific and you wont find em at the parts house or lowes.

lastexit99

Established Member
sorry I should have specified...my car is a 1996 Cobra. I was thinking about getting a replacement part and putting itin after I get the old one out, and then trying to clean the old one up to have for a spare. I found a few places that have used take offs. Thanks for the info. The pipe seems strong hoepfully it will come out in one piece.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the one I did was rusted where it goes inside the block so it kind of crumbled apart but again that car had straight water run through it for around 2 years.

just make sure you get the new orings either way or most likely it will leak

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
It is incredible how tight those tubes are in the heads lol. I swear I could have lifted the engine out just by hooking on to it lol

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It is incredible how tight those tubes are in the heads lol. I swear I could have lifted the engine out just by hooking on to it lol

I beat on that one set with a friggin dead blow hammer...finally got it by undoing the little bridge section in the middle (note:theres a third oring in there..actually should probably get 3 orings and replace them all) and getting em out one side at a time

Users who are viewing this thread