"Coolant Burping"

torchanniv03

Established Member
just so you guys already know, YES i have reasearched a ton on this, but i kinda wanted to revive this to see if anyone has found any new tricks to "burping" the system.....

i am about ready to run my car off a cliff at this point!! i am putting my buddies fluidyne rad. on it tomorow to see if it will help my situ. any better.

the way i am doing it right now, is with the funnel in the hole in the crossover tube and letting the air come out while the car is running and the t-stat is opening and closing. i do this for about 45 mins. or so, till there is nothing but circulating water. then, i cap it off, drive it around maybe just a few miles. i let it sit till its cold again, and on my way back home, which is a bout a 4 mile trip from my buddies house, the last mile or so, i am shutting the car off and coasting. come to a stop sign, turn the car back on, get a head of steam, shut it back off, etc till i get home..... i then loosen the plug on the crossover tube, and air is coming out for a soild min or two, and the motor is empty!!!!:fm:

on the seraching i did, zinc04yellow has the exact same prob as me! when i first started having the prob, everytime i got into boost, coolant would spray on the windshield!! i wanted to know if anyone else has/had the same prob, and what exaclty they did to fix it!!

i apologize for the long post, but i tried to explain thoroghly(sp?)

thanks, Josh

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Dang, Josh...sounds like you are very frustrated and I would be too...have you thought about going to the dealer...I know it's the last place you want to go...either way good luck...the possibility of me ruining my cooling system by getting air in there is keeping me from flushing my coolant...

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I have found that filling while the engine is running will still leave air in the system. Once you cap it off, you should let it sit overnight, then fill from the crossover. You may need to do the fill, run until hot, cool,fill, etc a few times.

Even when cold, opening the crossover may let some coolant come out when the system is full. That is normal. I had to burp mine several times last time it was changed. I filled mine each morning until the day it came out when the cap came off. That's when I knew it was burped.

Also, there is a line scribed on the driver's side of the stock expansion tank. That is the fill line. There needs to be some air in the top of the expansion tank or it will puke out fluid.

Finally, the caps on the expansion tanks have been known to fail. If yours is still original, you may need a new one.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I have found that filling while the engine is running will still leave air in the system. Once you cap it off, you should let it sit overnight, then fill from the crossover. You may need to do the fill, run until hot, cool,fill, etc a few times.

Even when cold, opening the crossover may let some coolant come out when the system is full. That is normal. I had to burp mine several times last time it was changed. I filled mine each morning until the day it came out when the cap came off. That's when I knew it was burped.

I did the same thing a couple of times after getting into the cooling system,I left a funnel in the crossover w/fluid in it!Worked fine.

batfat

Established Member
WITH THE FRONT WHEELS ELEVATED (either ramps or a hill) fill from the crossover until full. Run until warmed up (heater temp on high). Cool. Remove crossover plug and top up. Repeat process until no air remaining. No need to drive the car during this process.

Silverboost

Established Member
WITH THE FRONT WHEELS ELEVATED (either ramps or a hill) fill from the crossover until full. Run until warmed up (heater temp on high). Cool. Remove crossover plug and top up. Repeat process until no air remaining. No need to drive the car during this process.

+1
I fortunately didn't have any issues burping mine.

torchanniv03

Established Member
man thanks guys for the extra help!! yes this is very frustrating, just ask my buddy aaronk, he'll prob chime in in a bit....

no, i have not tried elevating the front wheels, but will do!! i am trying a bigger fluidyne rad. to see if it helps, maybe mine is partially clogged:shrug: im gonna make this a two day deal this time, letting it cool completely down, and repeat process!!

thx guys, and any other input is def still welcome!! :beer:

oh and yes snakebit, i have a new cap on it!!

Last edited:

torchanniv03

Established Member

how exactly are you going to know when the air is all out??

Wratchet

HP+RacingXMods/Pay=Broke
Established Member
I know this is an old post but in the off chance that you are still having this prob.....sounds like you have a bad head gasket.

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Man, I don't know why, but every time I've changed coolant on any car, including my Mustangs, I've never had a problem with overheating or anything. Sure they were a tad low the next day, but I just topped them off a couple times and everything was okay.

Users who are viewing this thread