converting 5.0 headers to 4.6 flanges

markcass123

Established Member
Hey everybody,

I am starting a turbo build on a 2002 mustang gt 4.6. A piping set for a single turbo w/ exhaust manifolds has become available to me for cheap. This turbo setup is for a 5.0, I am aware that the 4.6 and 5.0 exhaust ports and bolt patterns are different. I'm considering cutting the flanges off the manifolds, welding 4.6 flanges on them and using these as my turbo manifold. Initially I planned on just running the piping from the collectors and up to turbos in the engine bay but when I ran into this guy selling this turbo setup for $100 I am pretty tempted to pick it up and see if I can make it work. I cant find any turbo manifolds for a 4.6 2v that are decently priced and since this is already going to be a completely custom build you can see why im interested in this. I have access to a waterjet and I have a plasma cutter/mig welder in the garage so I am equipped to get it done.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jimboslice751

Established Member
I mean steel is steel you can fab anything. If you have access to all the equipment anything is possible. How easy it will be is another question. If I understand correctly the headers are for a 5.0 pushrod and you want to use them on a 4.6 sohc? If so they're made for a different car where the available space is far different so how they would fit with just different flanges is something to consider. You might end up modifying them so much that it would be less work to make a full custom header.

Users who are viewing this thread