Convertible top ?

Dirk

Established Member
Does anyone know how to adjust the Convertible top on a ’03 Cobra?
Mine needs to be tighten it’s sagging on top which looks like the fabric is loose..

Can I adjust in by myself or should I look for a shop to do it?

prostkr

Established Member
I watched them replace my rear window. It is possible to do it yourself, its just held tight by a few screws and a crapload of small staples. But after watching mine done, I can see it takes serious skill and some tricks that only can be learned from years of doing it.

If the top is loose enuff to stretch the fabric to be able to get into fresh material, Id say try it or let a shop try. If the sag is minimal, the staples will not hold and you be in just as bad of shape. They warned me my top was just about at the end of its service life because the material was streching and tearing around all the mounting points.

Juruense

Banned
If it is sagging there is probably separated seams in there. You need to take it to a convertible top shop. I am guessing its a 50/50 shot you need a new top.

Dirk

Established Member
I found the problem.

The top ripped of the rear cross beam.
It is attached to it with staples which you can access above the rear window when you open the top half way.
It ripped of because of the high speed driving on the Autobahn.
I stapled it back on and added a couple of screws to prevent it from happen again.

That is actually a good way to stretch your top a little when it starts to get loose.
You just have to remove all the staples, pull the top to the rear and staple it back on.

tdo

Established Member
I found the problem.

The top ripped of the rear cross beam.
It is attached to it with staples which you can access above the rear window when you open the top half way.
It ripped of because of the high speed driving on the Autobahn.
I stapled it back on and added a couple of screws to prevent it from happen again.

That is actually a good way to stretch your top a little when it starts to get loose.
You just have to remove all the staples, pull the top to the rear and staple it back on.

Interesting. Post a pic or 2 if you can, to point out exactly what you were saying here. Thanks!

Juruense

Banned
So you moved the top to the 1/2 up maint position and were able to re-staple the top to the wood bow yourself? Good job!

Some pics would be great.

Dirk

Established Member
Here are some photos on how to fix the top when it gets loose.

I did remove all the old staples, pulled the top to the rear, stapled it back on and secured it with some screws so it won't come loose again.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Juruense

Banned

CobraMac

Established Member
Thats exactly what happens. I took mine to a great conv top and upholster place by me and the staples on the back seam above the rear window had all come loose. He replaced the staples with ones 2 times bigger and I've never had a problem since! It cost me 60 bucks and was WELL worth it! Any conv place should be able to do this!

Juruense

Banned
Thats exactly what happens. I took mine to a great conv top and upholster place by me and the staples on the back seam above the rear window had all come loose. He replaced the staples with ones 2 times bigger and I've never had a problem since! It cost me 60 bucks and was WELL worth it! Any conv place should be able to do this!
I was charged $50 to get re-stapled at shop but was told that when it gets loose seams tear mine was torn he said and he did a temp fix with some glue in addition to the very expensive stainless steel convertible top staples he put in and said a new top was in my future.

Did you use the correct stainless top staples that cost $50 a box Dirk or did you use regular staples that will quickly rust?

I think the screws were a mistake also.

The pics and the fact that you fixed it yourself are awesome :beer:

I too was going to staple myself but when I found that the materials (staples) would cost as much as having shop fix I took it to a shop.

Last edited:

Dirk

Established Member
I do trust the stainless screws more than the staples to hold the top in place past 160mph.
You don't notice that they are there and my shop recommended doing it that way.
The staples are not stainless, but they are "rust-resistant".
I doubt that they are going to rust, because they won't get wet.
I might even put some tape above them and will keep en eye on them.

Juruense

Banned
Sounds like you gave it a lot of thought thanks for the pics and info I appreciated them and anyone doing a search will also I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread