Convertible top storage

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I walked into the garage today and started looking at the Cobra. I don't drive it much as it only has 29k miles on it. I will go 2-3 months at a time without driving it as I refuse to drive it in anything remotely resembling wet-ish weather, let alone rain.

My question is, what are other's thoughts on how to store the convertible top while the car is not in use? I know that leaving the top down for long periods of time is not good. However, is it better to leave the top in the fully latched position, just pop the latches to release tension on the material and structure, or pop the latches and lift the top a couple inches where it just starts to move?

postalbunny

Established Member
Leave mine up + latched. Don't want dust getting in the car... never heard of anyone leaving it unlatched to re-leave tension. Def don't store it in down position, you'll get creases in it from where it folds over.

wudy

Established Member
In all honesty I dont think you need to unlatch your top if it sit for a few months at a time. But it dosent hurt if you want to do it. Now, with that being said, I always unlatch mine when I store it for the winter. It usually sits for about 6 months. I unlatch it for 2 reasons. The first is because I put it up on jackstands. When jacking it up I fear it will twist and tear the top. But this year I stored it on the ground and i still unlatched it. The second reason is I like to release tension on the top and the weather stripping.

Im not saying this is a must do for rag top owners. Its something that I do.... To each there own..But definatly dont leave it down.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I leave my top up and latched. Years ago I had a 69 Corvette Roadster with both tops so naturally I stored it winters with the top down and the hardtop on. In the spring when I put the convertible top up I crossed my fingers that the top fabric wouldn't be brittle and tear. It did take a while with the top up to relax the creases.

04RedfireVert

Is it Friday yet?
Established Member
I always leave mine latched. But I'm curious to see if anybody more experienced with convertible tops will chime in as to what's best for them.

Users who are viewing this thread