Convertible Top Repair

Juruense

Banned
Well the staples are coming out of the third bow (rearmost) on my convertible top BIG TIME. I took it to a convertible top shop and the guy looked at it in the parking lot and said $100 to fix. He then told me it was from turning my stereo up too loud and that had vibrated out the staples :bs:

However, I can get a real nice staple gun at Harbor Freight for $9.

My plan is to fix this in the next few days, any tips would be appreciated.

What I know:
-the top will need to be 1/2 way lowered to access and staple where I need to

What I do not know:
-how to avoid wrinkles/bulges in the finished repair
-what type of staple (wire guage, width)

Thanks...

Juruense

Banned
Ok here's some updates to my convertible top problem. My top is starting to flap a bit and "puff up" at highway speeds so I need to correct those loose staples asap...

I went to Harbor Freight today and bought a staple gun. However it uses way too think of a guage staple: 18 guage wire

I am going to just keep the staple gun from Harbor Freight it was only $13 and its pretty nice.

I removed a staple from the problem area of my top and looked at it. They have very thin but stiff wire. I am going to use that kind because the layer of wood I am shooting them into is very thin. I guess I need a different staple gun to shoot those thin staples... :shrug:

Maybe I will take it to another convertible top shop and see how much to fix. I heard there is a different one in town that is as good as the one I already went to and got the $100 estimate...

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Mine did the same thing when the car had less than 5k on it. I had it repaired under warranty at an upholstery shop. I assume you're out of warranty and have no hookups at the dealership?
I wouldn't advise doing this yourself. A shop that does convertible tops will have the tools to stretch and hold the material properly while it's being re-stapled.

RGrossman

Established Member
Do you have a slight wave (ripples) in the middle just above the window? I noticed this on mine the other day and was wondering what the cause was...

Juruense

Banned
Yes, waves/ripples above rear window. Moved the top to the half way up position and dug a bunch of loose staples out of there that were abrading the underside of the top.

03yellow

Established Member
Dont drive with your windows open and the top up at highway speeds. The air comming in the windows will make the top buldge.

Make sure you get stainless steel staples; they wont rust.

Id spend the $100 and get it done correctly.

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
I made an appointment at a trim shop. Yesterday when I took it over for an estimate the guy said that it may look like it just needs some staples shot in there but it is really 2-3 hours of partial disassembly, stretching, and repair. Definitely not DIY. Plus stainless steel staples are freaking expensive. So I am going to pay $100-200 and have it done professionally. Seems like most convertible top issues are not DIY although I have been able to do a couple minor things myself...

03yellow

Established Member
I heard it kinda of an art getting the top pulled tight.

Good Choice!

Kilgore Trout said:
I made an appointment at a trim shop. Yesterday when I took it over for an estimate the guy said that it may look like it just needs some staples shot in there but it is really 2-3 hours of partial disassembly, stretching, and repair. Definitely not DIY. Plus stainless steel staples are freaking expensive. So I am going to pay $100-200 and have it done professionally. Seems like most convertible top issues are not DIY although I have been able to do a couple minor things myself...

Juruense

Banned
Update, I stopped by another trim shop in town on the way home from work: www.fabini.com

They estimated the repair at $50. I asked if they would do it while I waited and now its done! The top looks so much better. It actually cost $45 total.

Juruense

Banned
I think you should try and get it out. Try using the below stuff with a real nice soft brush.

http://www.thejeep.com/raggtopp/

A new cloth top is $1200-1500 installed if they can re-use the rear window, sometimes the elastic that supports them tears... If the rear window cannot be re-used add $350. If the roof liner cannot be re-used add $200.

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
snakebitten1975 said:
anyone know what it costs to replace the top, mine got some egg, and its imbedded into the top, or when some punk kids egged my car.
Don't know for a fact, but I've heard these tops run around 1k + install. Let us know if you find out.

Users who are viewing this thread