Convertible switch in a coupe and cd prob

hydroinnovation

Established Member
I recently purchased a 97 cobra with 4k miles on it, I love it. Got a question though, why does my coupe have a switch for lowering a convertible top?

My stock cd player recently quit working, its having a problem reading discs. It takes in the cds and then the play symbol starts then there is a pause...then it spits the disc back out. Besides replacing it is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance

hydroinnovation

Established Member
hmmmmm....my wife just told me that its listed on our insurance as a convertible. This is weird. The car is in showroom condition with less than 5k miles on it, its not had a roof added to it. For some reason my car was supposed to be a vert and ended up being a coupe, does anyone have an explanation for this beside just a screw up from the factory? Seems like a big oversight.

VIN 1FALP47V9VF194202

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Wow under 5k miles?! This wouldn't happen to be a laser red coupe would it? I'm probably thinking that the car was mislabeled from the factory, all coupes/verts use the same center console harness so all you would have to do is unplug the convertible switch and replace it with the coin holder like all other coupes.

hydroinnovation

Established Member
Its black on black. I bought this car for a fun investment and wonder what impact that will have on the value of the car in 50 years. The VIN says vert but the car is a coupe. I could understand mislabled without the vert switch but to have both the switch and the VIN are 2 different mistakes IMO. The VIN could show vert because of a paperwork issue but the switch being installed means IMO that the car was originally planned to be a vert and got diverted during manufacturing.

hydroinnovation

Established Member
ok so my insurance card shows vert but when I look up the VIN # is says its a coupe. Just a weird coincidence that it has a vert switch and my insurance show vert. Anyway most of the mystery solved. Still strange that the switch was installed at the factory by mistake, pretty easy to tell whether it is a vert or not.

In my OP I asked about the cd player not working properly, any advice on that? I want to keep it stock so I'll probably just find a factory replacement unless someone can tell me how to fix this one.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You might see if the switch is actually plugged into anything. Could have been installed by a previous owner.

Take me for example, I put a switch into my coupe. It activates the high-speed fan.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Ive had my car for 4 years, stock stereo. Never once used the CD player.

I've had my car for 10 years and the only time the radio plays is while I'm changing CD's.

I did have a similar problem as the OP. After exhausting all reasonable repair options I finally bought a used CD player for $25 off the internet.

hydroinnovation

Established Member
I've had my car for 10 years and the only time the radio plays is while I'm changing CD's.

I did have a similar problem as the OP. After exhausting all reasonable repair options I finally bought a used CD player for $25 off the internet.

I'll try the disc cleaner just in case but I think that I'll probably have to replace it. I'm in Tx so unless you love country music, which I don't, then you better have satelite radio, ipod, or cd's to listen to. Since I don't want to modify the car my option is to get my cd player back going again.

SVT GT

Established Member
So only the door windows roll down....

^^^ This...Can you operate the rear windows from the drivers side? If not this sounds strange. Who went and insured the Cobra? Was the car in an accident? Maybe an insurance scam? Stolen? How come you did not notice this before you purchased the Cobra? Did you ask the seller yet? did you CARFAX both vins? Sorry for all the questions just wondering thats all, this would be driving me crazy if it was my car lol.
Was just asking to see pics of the inside where the visors are and have them down, to see if there were any locking levers. And pics of where the top part of the car (roof) meets the body but if you are sure then no need. Ya Ebay has used OEM radios for sale cheap. Try cleaning it first.

Users who are viewing this thread