control arm bushings

stangnut

WETAHDED FRICKIN' NOOB
Established Member
ok, so i finally jumped in and started my longtube install. it's been fairly easy so far. got all the suspension and the k-member off, h-pipes off and when i have the next day off, i will remove the manifolds. i figure i should replace all the bushings since its all apart, motor mounts too.

question#1 so ,how do you remove the bushings from the lca? do they need to be pressed in/out?
question#2 also any difference between prothane and energy suspension bushings? gotta order all my stuff soon so any opinions would be swell!!:banana:
question#3 what size is the sway bar -1 1/8"- i think
thanks guys for any imput:beer::beer::beer:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Q#1
It might be cheaper to get the Terminator A-arms as opposed to getting the bushings and having a shop press the new one's in. You'll also benefit as the Terminator A-Arms have stiffer bushing than our stock and different stamp design which will help your cobra bust a better U by 10%. Though if you are looking to get stiffer bushings, then prothane or energy bushings might be your only choice.

Q#2
We had energy bushings in stock control arms on the GT and they were just too stiff, really rough, too rough for street's of LA. You might benefit from the stiffness if it's a track car. We took them off and got the Terminator A-Arms, what a difference in ride and handling!

Last edited:

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
1. You can have a machine shop press out the old LCA bushings and press the new ones in. Any good Napa with a machine shop should be able to do it for a few bucks. If you don't have one, try a shop that works on farm equipment or semi-trucks. They will likely have a 20 ton press or something similar that can get the job done.

2. I believe they are both urethane bushings. For a street car they will creek and squeak and have a harsh ride. That's okay if you know about it ahead of time. I would use PST bushings or Terminator arms for slightly stiffer bushings & better ride.

3. 29mm sway bar I think is 1 1/8th"

Toasty

Established Member
1. You can have a machine shop press out the old LCA bushings and press the new ones in. Any good Napa with a machine shop should be able to do it for a few bucks. If you don't have one, try a shop that works on farm equipment or semi-trucks. They will likely have a 20 ton press or something similar that can get the job done.

I have had 2 sets of arms done this way and both times the shop BENT the fricking a-arms.

Just buy a set of terminator A-Arms. So dirt cheap its not funny, and you get the improved bushings, new/improved balljoints and the improved arm stamping that the 03-04 cars came with.

Users who are viewing this thread