Contractors and project managers in here

tistan

Established Member
I'm having a bit of a problem in my area, and I am wondering if this is nations wide and what is the solution. The problem is not just finding quality subs, but finding any sub to do drywall and roofing. Roofing is kind of messed up right now because of the damage from the recent hurricane, but before the hurricane it was like pulling teeth to get a roofer. This is roofers that I have used for years. Now, most of them won't answer their phone and their inbox is full. Drywall is the same way, but its because there aren't many workers left doing it. I think both industries relate because all roofers all ride around quoting jobs then sub out to the same Mexican squads that every other roofer is subbing to. It is the same way with drywall except that the quality of drywall finish has gone to shit. I've been talking to a few contractors I know and they are all having the same problem. The only solution I can come up with is to raise the price I'm quoted to make it worthwhile to the sub and hope I can pass it on to the homeowner. Roofs and drywall are the biggest hold ups on getting projects done on time. It is really frustrating that you can't count on anyone anymore. Is this nation wide, and what is everyone else doing to fix the problem?

coposrv

Established Member
I'm an electrical sub in the north east. My email inbox is full of bid invitations. Everyone I know is crazy busy right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
In the past when I've had to solicit bid proposals from subs to meet specific minority requirements or because I needed more quotes for a trade I would look through the blue book.

http://www.thebluebook.com/

CV355

_
Established Member
Project managers? Aren't those the guys that think 9 women can make a baby in a month? I was cursed with that title for a few years. Didn't ask for it. Never again.

As for OP's question. I can't speak for the construction industry because I'm in a different realm, but I have noticed that getting good contractors in engineering is like pulling teeth. Getting good employees in general is hard. Everyone wants top dollar and delivers lowest quality. It's like a race to see who can blow the most time texting at work or who can be the first out the door at 7.99hrs.

tistan

Established Member
I did project management for three years. After my last job, I had several project management offers. I thought about for a month or so and decided the only way I want to do things from here on out is my way. I like the freedom of being able to turn down shity jobs, and shity clients. If someone starts poor mouthing right away, I won't even quote the job.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Project managers? Aren't those the guys that think 9 women can make a baby in a month? I was cursed with that title for a few years. Didn't ask for it. Never again.

As for OP's question. I can't speak for the construction industry because I'm in a different realm, but I have noticed that getting good contractors in engineering is like pulling teeth. Getting good employees in general is hard. Everyone wants top dollar and delivers lowest quality. It's like a race to see who can blow the most time texting at work or who can be the first out the door at 7.99hrs.

What industry are you working with engineering contractors in?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Get rid of all the illegals! Problem solved. ;)

tistan

Established Member
Get rid of all the illegals! Problem solved. ;)
There are not a lot of Americans that can do drywall. Illegals took over the trade and undercut everyone's prices 25 years ago. That is a whole generation of trades people that can't be trained overnight.

Poolman

Established Member
I'm having a bit of a problem in my area, and I am wondering if this is nations wide and what is the solution. The problem is not just finding quality subs, but finding any sub to do drywall and roofing. Roofing is kind of messed up right now because of the damage from the recent hurricane, but before the hurricane it was like pulling teeth to get a roofer. This is roofers that I have used for years. Now, most of them won't answer their phone and their inbox is full. Drywall is the same way, but its because there aren't many workers left doing it. ....

Tistan, sorry to hijack your thread, but your problem is widespread. Not only subs but GC's, consultants, and owner's staff. I have been in this business on all sides of the table in my 30 year career, never seen it quite like this in construction. I think the downturn in 08 caused a real permanent loss in experienced, skilled people and companies in the construction industry.
One post said get rid of the illegals, while I don't condone illegal immigration, who is going to do the work? They are here, they want to work, let's find a way to screen out the criminals, tax them and put them to work. Locally its difficult to even get a pool of American job candidates or workers that can pass a drug screen. Sorry, stepped up on the soapbox...

I logged on this morning to ask a technical question of our group while preparing to go to the office and post an open construction project manager position in my department.

Anyone interested in a PM position in Myrtle Beach, SC? Horry County School District, third largest school district in SC. Sun, sand, golf, fun, Mustang Week, and a descent paying job with state benefits? Need experience in new commercial construction, renovations and upfits, etc. We manage all district construction. Just send me a message and I will supply link to the job board, opening likely to be up by Monday 2/6/17. We need some new candidates, maybe some car guys or ladies. Women welcome, my two women PM's are the greatest. We generally average 100 million in projects at any given time, currently at over 300 million in capital construction.

Maybe I should have started a new thread Tistan.

Poolman
Coordinator of Project Management

CV355

_
Established Member
What industry are you working with engineering contractors in?

Automation design/integration.

I get 'em. I train 'em. Sometimes I hire 'em.

This industry will lead me to an early grave.

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
There are not a lot of Americans that can do drywall. Illegals took over the trade and undercut everyone's prices 25 years ago. That is a whole generation of trades people that can't be trained overnight.

One post said get rid of the illegals, while I don't condone illegal immigration, who is going to do the work?

Guys, I was being sarcastic, hence the wink emoji.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Tistan, sorry to hijack your thread, but your problem is widespread. Not only subs but GC's, consultants, and owner's staff. I have been in this business on all sides of the table in my 30 year career, never seen it quite like this in construction. I think the downturn in 08 caused a real permanent loss in experienced, skilled people and companies in the construction industry.
One post said get rid of the illegals, while I don't condone illegal immigration, who is going to do the work? They are here, they want to work, let's find a way to screen out the criminals, tax them and put them to work. Locally its difficult to even get a pool of American job candidates or workers that can pass a drug screen. Sorry, stepped up on the soapbox...

I logged on this morning to ask a technical question of our group while preparing to go to the office and post an open construction project manager position in my department.

Anyone interested in a PM position in Myrtle Beach, SC? Horry County School District, third largest school district in SC. Sun, sand, golf, fun, Mustang Week, and a descent paying job with state benefits? Need experience in new commercial construction, renovations and upfits, etc. We manage all district construction. Just send me a message and I will supply link to the job board, opening likely to be up by Monday 2/6/17. We need some new candidates, maybe some car guys or ladies. Women welcome, my two women PM's are the greatest. We generally average 100 million in projects at any given time, currently at over 300 million in capital construction.

Maybe I should have started a new thread Tistan.

Poolman
PM sent.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Automation design/integration.

I get 'em. I train 'em. Sometimes I hire 'em.

This industry will lead me to an early grave.

Interesting. Not the industry I would have thought it would be hard to find good engineers. Maybe all the good ones arent contractors lol

CV355

_
Established Member
Interesting. Not the industry I would have thought it would be hard to find good engineers. Maybe all the good ones arent contractors lol

Some people like variety and work very well as contractors. Others are contractors for a reason...

Nothing against contractors in general- just something I've noticed.

In my line of work I have high expectations for design disciplines and I get a lot of sloppy engineers that come through and don't cut it. Contractors are even riskier because who knows what bad habits they've adopted and are usually unaware of...

Equalbracket

Established Member
Here in Texas residential construction is booming. Roofers/Drywall crews here work 7 days a week and it can still take two weeks to get to you. And that's guys not even looking for new work just the same builders keeping them busy..too busy to even shower apparently because they all smell like burnt tortilla's and baby powder.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'm a PM in NJ and a good sheet rocker is hard to find. I found my current guy through my painter. Roofers aren't as hard. Though they are either a broker who subs out to a Mexican crew or mountain boys from PA. But the Mexicans aren't dumb, they get legal and cut the middle man out. I was paying one roofer $350/sq then his guy said he would do it for $250/sq. I got his W9, Liability, and Workmans comp and use him.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I dont have a problem finding any kind of subs beside ROOFERS. I do almost everything and Im not touching a roof unless its easy to do and the right time of year. Saw these guys on a 3 story roof in the snow last week and thought they were nuts!!

josephcostello

Established Member
My dad owns his own company. Solely does high end interior remodeling. Every job he'll have subs not show, not complete their work, leave early, or he'll have to chase them trying to get them on the phone. It's a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

YJSONLY

Established Member
Right now everything is booming. Getting someone to show/do work regardless of the timeframe.
After 2008 all the "tradesman" "/ workers went to find other work.
Therefore left a huge hole. And this generation of give me give me and the handouts........

Poolman

Established Member
Any commercial construction PM's thinking about a change of scenery?

Open position posted, pay depends on experience, excellent benefits. Then there is the beach, golf...and Mustang Week. 4 day summer work week schedule, spring break off, schools are the customers. I got out of the contracting race and like it.

https://www.applitrack.com/horry/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Project+Management

Pay scale: http://www.horrycountyschools.net/f...52ec4/FOR_WEB_2016-2017_Non_Teaching_Prof.pdf

Pay scale Step column means years of experience, pay grade is 30 for this position. Find the daily rate in the chart and multiply by 246 days paid per year for annual salary. Likely less than you make now, but at 4:30 PM we all go home. Project Managers here are the owners reps and deal with the GC's working for the district, not the subs. Current work is over $323 million in projects.
We build new schools, additions to schools, interior upfits, upgrading of HVAC systems, fire alarms, security systems, you name it. Myrtle Beach is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. District has 61 schools, 5 support facilities, almost 50k students, 4500 employees. Professional environment, licensed architect and licensed engineers on our staff. Check it out. I need another really good PM.

Users who are viewing this thread