Contour Fuel problems

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
I have a problem with my 1999 SVT Contour. When the gas tank gets below half a tank the car falls on its face when the variable valve timing kicks in at about 4 grand. the problem gets worse at a quarter of a tank and will sometimes happen at about 3500Rpm. The only times i notice it is when i am in first and second gear. I am pretty sure that it is the fuel system and have tried replacing the fuel filter but it didn't help. I have a hunch that it is the fuel pump, but don't want go through the trouble if i don't know for sure.

Please Help.

The BigSHO

Established Member
Sounds like fuel pump...

Try searching contour.org

My son's 2000 has gone through three fuel pumps.

My daughter's 2000 has gone through one.

Both cars have ~65K. The 1999 and 2000s are known to eat fuel pumps...

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
You need to replace the fuel pump. You also need to replace the sock filters and remove the POS disc in the sender assembly.

Also for the record the engine does not have variable valve timing. It has a dual runner intake with throttle valves. It's designed for low rpm cruising ability from a small displacement engine. (remember most CDW-27's came with a slushbox)

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
Hey thanks for the help. hopefully i will have time to fix it this week or the next.

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
hey demomSvt Im looking to get a dual exhaust set up like yours and i was wondering if you could give me some ideas? How much of it was custom?

More importantly, how does it sound. Does it still retain that deep european sound or is it a little bit more high pitched.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
All of it was custom. I made it myself.

My exhaust won't sound like yours with the same setup. I have a 3L, headers, and no cats.

If I were to build mine again I would stuff in 9x13 Ultraflows as the rear mufflers instead of the 7x11 Magnaflows. The Dynomax mufflers just sound better. The Magnaflows are a bit boomy.

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
celerypowered said:
I believe at 3900 rpm it is the secondary intake runners opening up not variable valve timing like vtec or vvt-i.
You are correct it is no form of variable valve timing.

When at WOT the IMRC, or Intake Manifold Runner Control, opens the secondary throttle valves at 3400 rpm.

celerypowered

Established Member
Hey Demon SVT, I have a 1998 svtc and my buddy has a 98.5. I know that at wot they open at 3400 and >wot at 3900. Now in my car when the pedal is right to the floor the dont open till 3900, in my friends car u can distintively tell they open at abot 3500 ( both in 1st gear). Now when im say doing a roll on from 3k they open probably at about 3700 again at wot. Possibly tps not reading wot? Maybe imrc gears are drying or cable may be stiff and moving slowly? Thanks Mike.. btw my only mod is resonator removed and maf adaptor with cone. car has 105km

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
Demon SVT, i noticed that you replaced the front grill with stainless steel mesh.
how exactly did you do that? i was looking at mine and i noticed the only real way to remove the mesh is to take apart the whole assembly. or did you just paint it silver.

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
my dad had metioned that i might have water in my tank and that might cause the problem
is this possible

Y2KSVT

Established Member
I'm 98% sure it's your fuel pump, and I haven't even looked at your car. Has the problem been happening since before this tank of gas? You can pick up a stock fuel pump from Bill Jenkins. Just remove your backseat(bottom) and you'll see the fuel pump access. You'll need some tin snips to cut the floor board out a little, and prest-o! No need to drop the fuel tank.

Mark

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
SVTC99 said:
my dad had metioned that i might have water in my tank and that might cause the problem
is this possible

The fuel pumps on the returnless cars(late 99-00) have an almost 100% failure rate. I'd bet money it's the pump. When you replace it, make sure you leave off the round disc filter on the bottom of the pump housing, or you'll be replacing it again.

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
i have had this problem sense i bought the car

i keep thinking that it is the fuel pump too
but if the pump is bad how is the car able to still run
another question is my friend and i are going to take the pump out this weekend and see if there is any thing noticably wrong. Will i be able to tell if the pump is bad by looking at it?
another friend of mine mentioned that it might be that it is a pump made for a smaller tank and that it doesn't reach to the bottom of the tank.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
It is the fuel pump. It happens to the majority of us, returnles or not. At the moment I cant' think of the techincal reason what happens to the pump, but it just can't keep up with the engines demand in the upper RPMs with the tank <1/4 full.

No you won't visually be able to tell if the pump is bad.
You need to find out if you have a returnless car or a return car which is easy. You have two lines going to the fuel rail (return car) or one line going to the rail (returnless car). If its a return car, I'd go with a Mustang (Fox) 155lph pump; you don't need to upgrade, but it won't hurt anything. If its a returnless car go with the Focus SVT pump.

And your friend is wrong.

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
I believe that my car is has a returnelss pump because it was made in the later part of 99. 06/99

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Its returnless. The round disk filter I mentioned is too fine of a mesh and gets clogged, restricting the fuel to the pump(which eventually burns up). Save yourself the effort of tearing into the tank and pulling the pump only to look at it, you'll just be wasting an afternoon. Most of the people who have responded have been there and done that, we know what we're talking about. You can buy a replacement sending unit from spmotorsports.com, or as Ryan mentioned, buy the FSVT pump. Both are under $100.

SVTC99

SVTC99
Established Member
Thanks
quick question
is it worth buying the entire assembly or is just as easy to replace just the pump and can i get it at like autozone or do you recommend ordering from like BAT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread