Continuous Variable Valve Timing, if our motor had it would it be a big difference?

digital911

Established Member
Just curious to know if our motor had CVVT, would it make a large performance increase? What I am getting at, is how is it the new 5.0 has 412hp naturally aspirated? .4 liter doesn't seem to be that much more displacement to have more power than a 8psi boosted 4.6 liter.

2ndly, does cvvt hinder the ability of a motor to run highly boosted?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I think it would provide a broader torque curve over the entire rev range. Wherever your cam timing is "set" it won't make a difference. I wouldn’t loose sleep over it though. The PD blower makes up for it. I'm not real knowledgeable about variable cam timing mechanism but it may complicate thing with regard to accuracy between all 4 cams. I think on some of the race engines they were removing it. Makes more sense in an NA application.

digital911

Established Member
I think it would provide a broader torque curve over the entire rev range. Wherever your cam timing is "set" it won't make a difference. I wouldn’t loose sleep over it though. The PD blower makes up for it. I'm not real knowledgeable about variable cam timing mechanism but it may complicate thing with regard to accuracy between all 4 cams. I think on some of the race engines they were removing it. Makes more sense in an NA application.

Ultimately what I am getting at, is will a 2011 5.0 engine be able to be highly reliably boosted (more than 15lbs), like our terminator engines are capable of.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I wonder if it will be a pain to tune .... I bet those vvt motors are gonna make alot of power with force induction.

Ironhand

Banned

They werent removing them they have to use limiters with bigger cams in the motors. The computer can change the cam timing by 60 degrees. With big cams this is obviously a problem. So they use limiters to only allow the computer to change the cam timing by 20 degrees.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
It makes more power than our motor because of compression...big difference between 8.5:1 and 11:1

Users who are viewing this thread