Continental Extreme DW - Tire Wobble?

Nomadic

Established Member
I decided to run a set of 305/30/19's out back in the DW's here and love them for daily driving. However I noticed that when I hit WOT and get above 85-90mph, it seems like they have a death wobble. I'm gonna see if lowering the PSI outback helps at all, but I wanted to see if any other owners had feedback - and maybe whatever they did to fix it. Fully stock suspension at the moment - if it matters.

Healthforhazard

Established Member
I had a wobble on my Con DW around 70mph. At the same time i switched to AM repro rear wheels so its hard to point out the culprit w/o measuring run out of the wheels

awdowns

Established Member
I have a set of DW's I recently put on my car and I had the "death wobble" after putting the DW's on just the rear wheels. I felt it start around 65ish and it was very prominent by 80, hard braking from highway speeds felt unstable as well. Luckily, the problem went away after I had the fronts mounted.

I was ready to return the tires after feeling the wobble because it was enough to make a rear passenger carsick, but I am happy I stuck with them. They perform excellent in dry and felt very planted in the wet as well.

For reference, these are mounted on an '11 GT with the Brembo 19" wheels and lowered with the eibach pro kit. The stock 255/40-19 tire size was on all 4 wheels.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Mine were like that when new as well. I had the put on all 4 corners. I ended up swapping driverside front to pass front, retorquing all lugnuts. Seemed to improve things and now after a few thousand miles, front camber bolts, no issues. I think these tires are a little more camber sensitive as well.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
What are the front tires? Like summer rubber with the same speed rating? That may be your issue.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Mine were like that when new as well. I had the put on all 4 corners. I ended up swapping driverside front to pass front, retorquing all lugnuts. Seemed to improve things and now after a few thousand miles, front camber bolts, no issues. I think these tires are a little more camber sensitive as well.

Lots of people complain about how the DW's handle when new.

I'm finishing up my second set of 285/40-18 DW's and agree with you that they are really loose till you knock a couple 32nds off em', after that they tighten up and are a very good handling tire.

I can imagine the trammeling would be a little worse with a staggered setup.

Healthforhazard

Established Member
These tires are weird, it took about 12k before they were almost on the wear bars. That was NA, no burnouts, donuts, or purposeful spinning but very hard driving. Now they are at 18k on the VMP on 3.73 and every stoplight is a smoke show. Funny enough they still have not lost any tread in 6k miles of hell and still cut a 1.78 at Autoplus raceway

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
If they are new let whomever you bought them through know, they have a 60 day ride and drive guarantee. You don't neccesarily have to return them, but I would let them know so they can make some notes based on the date. If they don't even out over the next few weeks, your intial complaint date is the date we would use (Tire Rack) if your are within 60 days of the purchase. If you bought them from us, just email my work email [email protected] with your phone number or order number and I can make some notes. Sorry to ask another dumb question, I am assuming your wheel widths are in spec for the tire?

Nomadic

Established Member
If they are new let whomever you bought them through know, they have a 60 day ride and drive guarantee. You don't neccesarily have to return them, but I would let them know so they can make some notes based on the date. If they don't even out over the next few weeks, your intial complaint date is the date we would use (Tire Rack) if your are within 60 days of the purchase. If you bought them from us, just email my work email [email protected] with your phone number or order number and I can make some notes. Sorry to ask another dumb question, I am assuming your wheel widths are in spec for the tire?

Velgen VMB5 - 19x10.5 for the rears.

Users who are viewing this thread