Consumption

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Do any of us have any oil consumption issues? More specifically, on your tight motors (lower miles 0-40K), is there an acceptable amount of oil use? I seem to use about a quart a month (depending on how hard I drive) and my motor was rebuilt--I put the first mile on it. At first I was sucking oil through my pcv valve--the plate under my RPM intake was not installed. Then, of course, it dropped to the before mentioned 1 quart. Any experiences?

Sader123

Established Member
When I drove my coupe really hard I used a quart between changes, but regular driving I didn't use that much.

:pop:

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
Thanks for playing, Bro. I've used as much as a quart and a half between changes. I'm wondering if I'm sucking it into the intake since I use the GT aluminum valve covers with ITS plate removed near the filler tube.

Last edited:

~Ray~

Established Member
Are you using different valve covers, did you remove the baffle, how about pcv valve is that complete & operational. I know I removed my Baffle from my valve covers to clear my larger cam onetime & I was going though a quart about every 500 miles.

fasterandfaster

You have a rebuilt motor?

IF so then by who?

Piston ring choice and most IMPORTANT, cylinder wall finish is the cause of this. Yes running a motor hard will use oil, especially on hard decels where vacuum is pretty high. BUT, cylinder wall finish per the ring manufactures spec is most important.

Not much you can do. Do not worry to much about it, ENJOY your ride.
Vince

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
My engine was rebuilt by South Houston Motorsports. The baffle is removed in my valve cover to clear my roller rockers. I appreciate you guys' input. Some things need to be addressed: I removed my stamped steel valve covers because they leaked. (The car had the GT's on it when I bought it, and I later purchased the stock type covers) I wasn't present during the cylinder head honing; It was punched out to 306 so the cylinders could be the culprit. Not sweating it too bad; Just some good information for another scheduled project.

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
Mine uses @ a quart per 1500mi. Doesn't leak a drop. 100K bone stock engine, never opened that I can see. It'd bother me a lot more if I was using Royal Purple or something like that, where every drop is worth a new CD :rolleyes:

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
The heads were slightly cleaned up, though nothing major. Also, I DO use Amsoil ( I am also a dealer ) and of course cost does come into the equation. I don't leak any, just usage through engine.

Users who are viewing this thread