Construction people in here please

phil a

Established Member
I’m in Sacramento. I may be able to point you toward a good GC. But wouldn’t suggest doing anything w/o first talking to an attorney like these other dudes said.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Wow. I would be livid.

This is why I do everything myself and have very good friends in the GC business who help me when needed.

I hope this turns out well for you.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Definitely without a doubt, don’t stall, contact a few Lawyers ASAP and get their professional advice.

You’re in a quandary, because if you try to hire someone else, you’re essentially “touching” what the other Company started (and left unfinished) - then that can start a whole shitstorm of its own… because then the Co. who started your work can refute the concern and state you went ahead and got someone else in there before letting them make things right OR completing “their” job.

Take as many hi-res pics as you can of EVERYTHING exactly the way it was left. Make notes OF EVERYTHING and EVERYONE you have talked to at that Company… date logs, phone logs, keep any voicemails, payments, keep any docs/paperwork etc….

Do read the entire contract, like ALL “fine print” and make sure you didn’t sign something where the fine print was overlooked.

The other thing is, just because a Big Company bought a Small Company, doesn’t mean they are obligated to finish any job or fulfill any open PO’s, Contracts, etc…. I’ve seen it time and time again where small Co’s get eaten by the bigger - and the bigger just write off any bad debts or zaps anything in its way that they deem a “liability”, including abandoning open jobs under the prior company they deem “not worth it”….

Is your contract or any paperwork written on the then prior Small Company’s stationary/letterhead - or was all docs you received and signed already with the Big Company’s business name/logos?

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member

Don't Dilly Dally around. As a tax payer and consumer you have every right to fill out the proper form and press send.

It doesn't matter weather the company was absorbed or dissolved. There is a license holder tied to the entity.

I know someone first hand who got cuffed and put behind bars for working in a neighboring state without a license. A board of contractors has much more authority then people think.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Consumer protection laws: There is a reason why they exist. I assume your permit is through the town or city. Start there, then contact the attorney generals office. In NJ you'd be entitled to 3 times the damages. I'm sure CA has similar protections.
It's a clear cut case of breach of contract. Contact a lawyer that specializes in this. Ask for a recommendation at the township and from the AG's office for a lawyer.
You're getting screwed. You can't enter into an agreement and decide half way through "Nah, I don't want to do this anymore". And in my opinion you are 20% of the way through your contract.

Good luck, it's going to be tough but you're in the right.
Btw I ran a company and currently a Pre-con manager with 31 years in the industry.

Adower

Established Member
Yup
I’m in Sacramento. I may be able to point you toward a good GC. But wouldn’t suggest doing anything w/o first talking to an attorney like these other dudes said.
hey Sacramento!! We should meet up sometime!

Users who are viewing this thread