Constantly in "Extended Network" on Verizon Wireless - Cancellation Question

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
I recently moved to another city and have Verizon as my current cell phone company. Since living here, I'm constantly in "Extended Network", and I am unable to connect to the internet, send PIX messages, download ringtones, or do anything associated with data. I have that as a part of my plan, and am very unhappy about not having this feature.

Tonight, I finally got fed up with it and called Verizon. I spoke with a helpful CSR who walked me through several steps to try to get my phone's software updated by dialing *228, which wouldn't work. He stated that they would send someone out to my area to confirm that there was no data coverage, and if that was the case, my contract would be cancelled without a disconnection fee. I was then forwarded to tech support, and he stated that the only way my contract would be cancelled without a disconnection fee was if there was a total lack of voice support (basically no coverage at all).

The tech offered to remove the data plan package from my phone, but I wouldn't let him. I told him that I signed up for the data package and my primary purpose of using the phone was for using the internet and using the data plan. By the time I got off the phone with him it was after 11pm and the department in charge of cancelling accounts had already closed.

Do I have grounds for cancelling my account with no disconnection fee since there is no data coverage in my area?

CobraKraiger

Know Not Anxiety Or Fear
Established Member
You have a good shot I would say. I worked for Verizon a few years ago and there service is usualy pretty good. If you call and bug them enough times they will do what you want. As far as getting out of contract for the no data coverage I would say its a 50/50 shot.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
Hey man... don't mean to hijack your thread... but I have a buddy out there in fallon... he is at the base out there... hes in the navy but he went there for journalism. He drives a mustang GT also actually. He gives tours out there I guess.

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
Hey man... don't mean to hijack your thread... but I have a buddy out there in fallon... he is at the base out there... hes in the navy but he went there for journalism. He drives a mustang GT also actually. He gives tours out there I guess.

Red Mustang GT? New Mexico Plates?

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
UPDATE: Well, called back today and explained that we are unable to use the data portion of our plan and they waived our cancellation fee by putting a credit on our account. Once we sign up with another provider and transfer our numbers the service will be discontinued.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
To answer your question - YES. You do.

I had no service in my house on any level or my neighborhood - had them do a time ticket multiple times over 2 years - was "told" new towers were being upgraded (BS), was given the *228 line (More BS) and finally had them to a last ticket to really see how the service was in my area.

After all was said and done I had the cancellation fee waived, went to Sprint, full service anywhere in the house - much better. But its still a headache. You HAVE to be a prick about it. They'll waive the fee once they do a ticket and realize you really don't have any in-network coverage.

SoCalCobra

Intaker & 7.5" Pistons!
Established Member
Well, they cancelled my contract and credited my account for the cancellation fees. I'm now the proud owner of 2 16GB iPhones :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread