Considering tremec TKO on 97 cobra, input welcome

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I am about to have everything apart, plan to make no more than 550 rwhp, and I really like how my T45 and king cobra clutch work right now. I do not want to take the car apart an extra time when the T45 breaks. I THINK I want a tko 500 or 600, any opinions are welcome though, if it's super cheap in comparison to have the T45 improved, that's fine too.

I plan to keep using my frpp alum driveshaft, sounds like I need a spacer with the TKO. And right now I have found a deal on a mccleod flywheel (not sure if it's absolutely necessary) and tremec dohc-correct bell housing, so I want to know more before I run out and pick them up. Thanks for the help.

brucesvt

Established Member
TKO's are generally robust, but you will likely notice it to be less refined than a healthy T-45. What you get back in strength is completely worth it in my opinion

mystickb1996

Established Member
I blew my t45 a few weeks ago and will be picking up a fuly built tr3650 from zak friday at the t-45/tr3650 source.. I am around 620-650 to the wheels and he says there will be no issue with it.. I would call him up and see what he can build for you just an option.. Backed with a mcleod rxt and billet flywheel I can't wait to see how it does.. He does a lot of tricks to make them shift amazing so Iv heard and the gears are a lot bigger then a t45 gear set..all that's needed to make work is a speed cal and moving trans x member forward a few inches.

1BD9D7

Established Member
My car really does not get driven hard all that often, I really doubt I would be making it launch hard, I bet I could get by with the T45 for quite a while since I don't drive it much anyways. I certainly don't want to make the shifting smoothness worse bc I likely won't enjoy driving it as much.

Is the 3650 the same length as a T45? You still have a 10 spline input, right, so you could keep your old clutch if it was good?

mystickb1996

Established Member
Yes the tr3650 is the same length hence the reason I went with that option so I could keep my frpp drive shaft.. Also I went with an upgraded 26 spline input shaft so I had to buy a new clutch and flywheel which is a huge cost add on around 1400 dollars. So if your your Not going to be making crazy power maybe stay with the 10 spline.. Call zak and talk things over he's an extremely nice guy.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
If your not going to be hard on the car don't waste your time with a TKO. I have a t-45 source trans. and it is great.

For 10 years I ran 3550 TKO's and they are very good. They can take abuse. Great for drag racing but some say they do not like to shift at high rpms. I never had that problem.

The 10 spline shaft at your HP level is not recommended but if your not launching on slick it might be good. It is worth giving zap a call to discuss. He is a stand up guy.

1BD9D7

Established Member
Thanks for the opinions guys, so far I have passed up buying the tko bellhousing that's for sale locally since I'm not sure what I want yet. I will call and get an idea on a price for a better t45 since I do like the t45 and I don't need the extra weight of the heavier trans.

1BD9D7

Established Member
Well guys my new t45source street strip trans was shipped to me today. A member from KS sent it, he had planned to use it in a 97 cobra but it was not installed. I look forward to having the car all ready to go with the new trans installed, thanks for the input on this thread, otherwise I may not have considered a t45source trans.

Users who are viewing this thread