Considering joining the Armed Forces.

nyk438

Established Member
As says in title I'm thinkin of joinin the ARmed forces, right now I am seriously considering the Marines after HS. I was wondering If anyone has any insight as to what the life of an officer is really like? Any comments welcome

Thanks
Nick :thumbsup:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I'm sure you're aware that a HS education alone will not result in a Commision as an officer. As such if this is your end goal you need to plan for a college education within an academic field that the military will have a need for. Getting into the Academy is not easy so your best option is ROTC. The Marines are an attractive option for many youths but keep your mind open as each branch of the military has varying career paths.

An officer regardless of the branch though is mostly a managerial position. Strong leadership values are a must as are follower skills. Anyone can give orders. But an effective leader will enlist the trust of his/her troops and enable them to execute the orders effectively. The worst officer is the one who thinks their rank is all they need to lead.

SVT4ME

Established Member
I've got almost 19 years in the Air Force. My advance to you is if you really want to join the military visit a recruiter and bug him as much as you can. Find a family friend who has been in and ask away. As an officer you need to have a degree. Find out what they want from you and go for it.

nyk438

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT4ME
I've got almost 19 years in the Air Force. My advance to you is if you really want to join the military visit a recruiter and bug him as much as you can. Find a family friend who has been in and ask away. As an officer you need to have a degree. Find out what they want from you and go for it.

So no matter what if I wanted to become an officer I would have to enroll into college?

I'm just exploring options since my grades are horrid :eek:

Still have yet to take the SAT tho we'll see after that.:thumbsup:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by nyk438
So no matter what if I wanted to become an officer I would have to enroll into college?

I'm just exploring options since my grades are horrid :eek:

Still have yet to take the SAT tho we'll see after that.:thumbsup:

Yes, I've been in tha Air Force for 13 yrs myself and have obtained a commisioning slot by completing my degree in my off duty time so it's not like you have to start as an officer from the get go:

The Air Force has many commisioning programs as do the other branches of the military. Some of the more attractive one pay for your college while temporarily releasing you from active duty, send you to the AF Academy for free and tuition assistance is currently 100% for active duty members.

Don't stress your HS grades they're not a true measure of potential. It's night/day difference between college education and HS.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Try to become a sergeant, i always wanted to be called HEY SARGE!....plus you get to do that full metal jacket shit, knock over footlockers and stuff.......:thumbsup: SUR EYE-EYE SUR!

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
i always wanted to be called HEY SARGE!....

Not flaming but as an E-6 I'd actually be insulted if some Airman came up to me and call me "Sarge". I'm sure I'm not alone in this. But when I finish OTS they can call me Lt all they want. :-D

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
COME ON.......im talkin like a cigar-chompin 25 gunshot-wound scarred, chin strap hangin john wayne type sarge....when did you ever see a WWII flick with guys yellin out their E ranks????:shrug:

nyk438

Established Member
a JELLY doughnut?.................

:shrug:

SoCal: I'm still not sure as to what I want to do for later in life. Right now military seems the most interesting to me. I kind of have this feeling of anxiousness to go fight in iraq but it'll be over by the time I have to make my decision. Thx for the advice :beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
COME ON.......im talkin like a cigar-chompin 25 gunshot-wound scarred, chin strap hangin john wayne type sarge....when did you ever see a WWII flick with guys yellin out their E ranks????:shrug:
hehehe. That's the Marine's not the Air Force.:-D

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by nyk438
As says in title I'm thinkin of joinin the ARmed forces, right now I am seriously considering the Marines after HS. I was wondering If anyone has any insight as to what the life of an officer is really like? Any comments welcome

Thanks
Nick :thumbsup:
My advice is to get an education. If you absolutely have to join the service, join the Air Force. FWIW, I served 6 years active duty in the Marines and spent some time on AF Bases. Join the Air Force if you are absolutely going to join. Did I mention to join the Air Force if you're going to join the military?

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
joining the force

ummm, yeah, i'm getting processed april 19th. can't wait, and the benefits are great, so its kinda like picking a jammed freeway or pacific coast highway in dads cobra, way too easy.
so go me, air force, here i come (in special vehicle maintence of course):coolman:
AW

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
You know, i had no idea that comissioned officers had to have a college degree. And to think i seriously considered joining the Navy after highschool.

Zig'sbird

Established Member
Another option to think about to become an officer is to join either the National Guard or Reserves. Most states offer some education benefits for being in the Guard. After your Basic and Advanced schooling, get into college. If you can not get into college right away, take classes at the local community school for up to two years before going to the 'big' college or university.

Once in the school, join ROTC. Now you will be getting the education benefits, the GI Bill, plus the monthly 'pay' from being contracted with ROTC. Since you already have Basic and AIT, you will only need to spend 2 years in the ROTC program. Also don't forget that ROTC does offer 2 year scholarships.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
ah yes this question.

First, do your homework.

Many people want to join the Corps just because of what it stands for and the uniforms. Those are good thoughts, but many people do not realize what they are getting themselves into. The Marine Corps is NOT for everyone. Just remember that. This is something you need to really think through and not just half ass think about it.

Now my opinions on the services

Air Force - Best technologies and best training on those said technologies. Best living conditions, PXs (Or BXs for you zoomies). Probably the best medical care too. The most Civilianize of the services.

Army - I really personnally don't know alot of things about them. I will tell you this. My best friend whom I tried to get to go to boot camp with me in the Corps wishes he would have went with me.

Navy - Squids, enough said :). Seriously, being on a boat isn't my thing. Even though there is a lot o shore duties and lots of womens. You get to see the world alot more consistently than the previous two services.

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children - Ah, Yes. Budget comes out of the Navy's. Smallest Service. Get all the crappy hand me down stuf. Medical Care comes from the Navy. Etc Etc. Sounds like crap, but the most respected service out there. And that's what it came down to for me.

Now Recruiters, take what they say with a grain of salt. They for the most part (at least in my case) tell you how things are, BUT, they also twist some things (not sayign they aren't true, just not the majority). And remember, each recruiter is going to give you reasons NOT to go to the other services.

Just my .02 :)

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Try to become a sergeant, i always wanted to be called HEY SARGE!....plus you get to do that full metal jacket shit, knock over footlockers and stuff.......:thumbsup: SUR EYE-EYE SUR!

If you call a Marine Corps Sergeant "Sarge" just stand by. If you call a Staff Sergeant "Sarge", well just check my location.

Intercooled98

Established Member
(9 years in the Marine Corps-disabled) If you still are looking in on this, let me give you some advice. What ever branch you go in on, you need to make sure that you get a contract. Pick a job that you like (and qualify for) and get it in paper. I tell everyone that.

As far as what branch you should go in... I can't speak for all the branchs, but I love the Marine Corps. It is different than the other branchs. All branchs as a different mission statement. Find the one that applies to you. 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread