Considering Getting Rid of Cobra

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Well, the past few weeks I've really heavily been considering getting rid of my Cobra and just buying a little sub compact car that is "peppy", like a Mazda 3 S.

I think I'm just getting really tired of the whole performance car world. There's so many assholes, so much shit talking, people always running their mouth off, trying to race me etc.

Not only that, but gas is getting expensive and it's a 30 mile trip to town and back from my house (live in the country), as well as pretty high insurance.

Would also save a buttload in debt trading my car in, owe about 24k and I'm assuming thats what I could get for a trade in, if not 25k, or maybe 26.5 if I sold it myself. I would be going to a 19k car.

I haven't even been having that much fun driving lately. Is something wrong with me? :) Do you people ever go through these phases where you just get sick of performance cars and want a regular car? I sometimes think it would be nice not obsessing over my paint and babying my car and what not.

My mom bought a Mazda 3 S and when I visited her they let me drive it and surprisingly I had a lot of fun with it. Sure it's no cobra obviously, but I really never drove in a car under 3200 lbs before and it's kind of a neat experience.

I could really use some opinions from you guys, anyone here go through the same thing? Don't get me wrong, the Cobra is such a badass car but I just don't know if its practical and worth it anymore to me.

03DOHC

Established Member
If it is a financial burden then by all means do what you have to do. There is no way I'm getting rid of mine, unless it's for another Cobra with more power. :) These things are just too much fun.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I second that motion of "these things are just too much fun".. my cobra is worth every penny. It's MY toy, my only posession that I use everyday, and have a blast driving it everyday. But like Mr. Moderator said, if it's killing you money wise, maybe it's best. You can always get another one later in life :)

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Mine. Mine. Mine. It's the only thing that I can truly call mine. Everything else belongs to the family or the business. No f**ing way I would dump this thing. Need some time alone for an hour or a day? I grab the keys and go. There's usually no questions asked. They (the family) know what Daddy means when he says he's going for a ride.

Sounds like you need to do some soul searching for yourself. I'm no doctor, but I know what 'me' time is all about. If you don't take the time, it will disappear right before your eyes.

If it's a money thing, dump it. When you get older and wiser you'll learn to appreciate the finer things in life. I never had a nice car until now. I'm 38. I've waited a long f**ing time to just do it. When I did get the car, many friends were like why? Then they saw a quick change in my attitude and outlook and then understood the why.

Keep on cruisin'.

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Do what you gotta do but I say keep the Cobra. You will miss it. Who cares about what anyone else says or tries to do when you are driving yours. Sometimes it's better just to look over and give the thumbsup or just laugh it off. Goodluck with your decision.:beer:

LittleSalfromSH

Established Member
Originally posted by ZincDude
Do what you gotta do but I say keep the Cobra. You will miss it. Who cares about what anyone else says or tries to do when you are driving yours. Sometimes it's better just to look over and give the thumbsup or just laugh it off. Goodluck with your decision.:beer:

I agree brush it off... I drove my brother stang for 1 days and everyone and everything wants to race it.... definately a cool feeling to have all these people pick your car out of the bunch on the streets to race, that and the shit talking i see as compliments :-D

Chameleon

Established Member
Only you know your financial situation. If finances dictate that you sell it and move on then that's what you should do.

If you are able to afford a Cobra then that's another matter. I would recommend that you rent a "peppy" car for about a week and drive it around. Drive it to and from work, and do some pleasure driving. My guess is that you will be bored real quick.

For most people horsepower is addictive. I rented a "peppy" car while on vacation recently. I couldn't wait to get back in my Cobra!

Anyway just my 2 cents.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
It sounds like its putting a real strain on the bottom line, hard to have fun when you are worried about paying for it all the time.......

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Everyone saying "keep it unless you REALLY need the money" is also neglecting what he said
"I think I'm just getting really tired of the whole performance car world. There's so many assholes, so much shit talking, people always running their mouth off, trying to race me etc. "
If it's just not worth it anymore and you'd be just as happy with a lighter car then by all means go for it. Extremely high horsepower isn't the answer for everybody.

SVT4ME

Established Member
It is about the money for some people. Waited untill now to buy my dream car. 03/04 was the year to buy the Cobra so this is a keeper but I could afford it. It's not even my daily driver so I can still play and drive a family car when needed. Make up your mind for yourself then do you u need 2.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I sold my Camaro SS because I was sick of the scene. Then I bought a ford ranger to drive around in everyday. It took me three months of that to buy my Cobra. Never again will I be without a muscle car.

I don't drive it everyday, just weekends, so that keeps the feelings alive.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I've been without a performance car for about a year, since 95... (had a 01 Explorer, that I traded a 98 Vette in on) and the other car at the time was an 95 Geo Tracker) in Performance cars that were under 3200 lbs, only 1 would qualify that would be the 02 Honda S2000 I had.. 2810 lbs and 240 hp.. yeah it was "tossable" but honestly in handling the 03 Cobra in the parking lot seems to just be as "tossable" maybe on a real tight road course the S2000 would take it.. but you don't really notice the extra weight of the Cobra..

(PS I'd KEEP your Cobra, if you can afford it)

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Only 54 more payments of $592.00 per month. I will be done just in time for the 08 when all the bugs are out!!!!

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Yeah im gonna keep it, I actually thought about it and im not really spending that much more on gas and insurance then a shitty little car anyway. Besides, a nice sunday cruise with 80 degree weather taught me what an error it would be to get an econobox.

RYU583

HADOOOUKENNN
Established Member
why would you ever sell such a car???????
my jaw drops everytime I see one....gotta love a cobra

jasil

Established Member
It boils down to what makes you happy. Not having much debt can make you feel real happy. I don't know going from a 24k to 19k loan definately wouldn't be worth it to me, but it's your car.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I came into the Cobra world from Jeeps and had some regrets because people weren't assholes about cars in the Jeep world. It was a new world to me... I almost sold the damned thing too, but a few friends kept me thinking straight and I'll never sell her now.

Like 03DOHC already said, if it's for financial reasons, go for it, if it's for other reasons, it gets questionable, from my point of view atleast...

Good Luck with your decision:beer:

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
Do what is best for you. With that said, I would have a hard time selling mine just becuase of the power that I'd be missing. I would only get rid of it if I was going to get into an M5, CTS-V, or Z06. Besides, spending $50K+ for a new car is the last thing i want to do!:D

vipergts281

Established Member
I'd get EXTREMELY bored with life if I didn't have a sports car. I get tired of the "scene" sometimes as well. But all in all, it is fun to be driving a car like this.

When I say "scene", I mean the people commenting and staring and telling me to spin my tires and stuff like that. I love the looks and nice comments, but the other stuff gets annoying sometimes. If I get rid of my car, it's either for another sports car or because I made the decision to stop driving.......that's a whole other thread.

Users who are viewing this thread