Considering getting a Fiesta ST or Focus ST

FiST or FoST?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
i know we have the ST sections but since this question involves both cars i wasn't sure where it should go.

i'm looking at picking up a new daily that i actually enjoy driving and i'm tossed between the two. i've been leaning towards he FoST, but i've heard people rave about the FiST. i am just a little concerned about the size of the FiST.

at the same time, it will probably come down to the better value/lower payment. i am looking to lease it because i don't drive much and work for myself (tax write off). but they are very close in price, with the FoST having what looks to be better incentives at the moment. so i'm not sure which would be the better value.

i haven't driven one yet but i'm planning to go out and drive/work some numbers this weekend. (of course most dealers around here don't have both :rollseyes: )

so what say you SVTP? i know there are plenty here who one or the other. sway me.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ive driven both and have considered buying each. i prefer the Fost. the fist is a fun little car but that's the operative word. little. as in tiny.
fost is small enough as it is. it feels way more powerful on the street and more comfortable. the interior is more upscale than the fist as well.

can you still get a 14 fost? they were moving like hot cakes out here. the new fost is supposed to come out in january. i dont expect there to be any great deals on those since theyve updated the front and rear end and added some stuff.

einehund

Established Member
I went throught the same thing as you and in the end, I found a new 2014 FoST for 3k less than any FiST. Made the choice easy. Either car will have a crap ton of SMILES per gallon to go along with the MPG. I love the FoST just as much as my Shelby. The FoST is the wifes car and I have a hard time trading cars with her for more than a couple of days, not because she doesn't like the Shelby, but she likes the FoST better.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
I've driven a Fiesta (not ST) and while it impressed me for what it was I know that I just couldn't live with the size if I had to own one. Definitely go with the FoST

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I am going to differ here, being I own both... relatively. The focus is my wife's. Neither is an ST though, FYI.

I drive the Fiesta back and forth to work daily, 100 miles per day. I am 6'3" and don't feel cramped. I would take a little wiggle room for my legs, but it hardly ever bothers me, if ever. I drive my wife's Focus whenever we go out together, and now and then to work. It is a lease and she barely drives it, so we tend to put miles on it like that.

The Focus actually FEELS more cramped to me, but I am accustomed to my fit in the Fiesta. I think both cars drive well, but the Fiesta feels like it takes off better and handles slightly better in my opinion. The Focus feels more powerful at speed though... there are times when the turbo on the Fiesta wont kick in or something and it is downright doggy. I think if you drop speed then try to pick it back up again, it just feels like crap, on the highway.
Quality on both cars is good, I don't notice a difference. The Fiesta is a little bit goofy I suppose.

If I were buying again tomorrow, I would probably buy the new 3 cylinder Fiesta because it is practical for my use.

For most buyers, I think the Focus offers a little bit more overall... At the same price, the Focus might be better. If you have to pay a couple grand more, save your money and get the Fiesta.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
given the question your response is irrelevant. since the focus and Fiesta ST bear little resemblence to their non ST siblings. For someone choosing between a regular focus and fiesta you may be spot on. Frankly I think the reason you feel more cramped in the focus is because you spend all or most of your time in the fiesta and are accustomed to the seats so when you change the seats are different enought that you feel cramped.

I am going to differ here, being I own both... relatively. The focus is my wife's. Neither is an ST though, FYI.

I drive the Fiesta back and forth to work daily, 100 miles per day. I am 6'3" and don't feel cramped. I would take a little wiggle room for my legs, but it hardly ever bothers me, if ever. I drive my wife's Focus whenever we go out together, and now and then to work. It is a lease and she barely drives it, so we tend to put miles on it like that.

The Focus actually FEELS more cramped to me, but I am accustomed to my fit in the Fiesta. I think both cars drive well, but the Fiesta feels like it takes off better and handles slightly better in my opinion. The Focus feels more powerful at speed though... there are times when the turbo on the Fiesta wont kick in or something and it is downright doggy. I think if you drop speed then try to pick it back up again, it just feels like crap, on the highway.
Quality on both cars is good, I don't notice a difference. The Fiesta is a little bit goofy I suppose.

If I were buying again tomorrow, I would probably buy the new 3 cylinder Fiesta because it is practical for my use.

For most buyers, I think the Focus offers a little bit more overall... At the same price, the Focus might be better. If you have to pay a couple grand more, save your money and get the Fiesta.

AAG

Established Member
The Fiesta is way too tiny. I almost considered the Focus as well, but rear seat leg room is a joke and is not newborn car seat friendly so my wife shut down that option really quick :(

04owmach

Established Member
Focus st all the way. bought mine in september of this year and absolutely love it. Probably going to buy the ford racing tune kit next spring for as it adds 90 lb ft at the wheels and you keep a ford warranty. Car handles so amazing and is fun to drive and is still big enough to be practical.

shurur

Established Member
given the question your response is irrelevant. since the focus and Fiesta ST bear little resemblence to their non ST siblings. For someone choosing between a regular focus and fiesta you may be spot on. Frankly I think the reason you feel more cramped in the focus is because you spend all or most of your time in the fiesta and are accustomed to the seats so when you change the seats are different enought that you feel cramped.

Unless the fost and fist are different legroom headroom, etc...the observations are relevant.

The op was concerned about size...

blwn306

Established Member
I just purchased a FOST LAST WEEK! Thing is a blast to drive! Great features got it for 21k with 3 miles on the clock! For 700 bucks you can squeeze some good hp out of it. I love it more than when I had my 07 gt for a daily

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I recommend the Focus, especially if you have wide shoulders. My shoulders are very wide, and I can't stand to be in the Fiesta, even though it is a terrific little car. The Focus is very comfortable for me, even with a passenger it doesn't feel too narrow.

Full disclosure: I have a Focus Titanium. Two of my friends have ST's, and as much as I enjoy my Titanium, those ST's are just a blast to drive.

Sapperstang

Established Member
The Fiesta is a tiny car. We looked at both and went with the Focus (non ST but dimensions are the same).

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
I was in the same boat as you this summer. Test drove all 3, both st's and the turbo 3cyl. the 3cyl was much slower than I had hoped so that was out. the focus had mad torque steer and was too much money. the Fiesta had close to the same room (they are both too small inside) but was tons more fun to drive. no torque steer, no wheel spin, just a blast. I bought the Fiesta not just cause it was better to drive but it was way cheaper. there was a good 3-4k difference between them. I drive the little shit every day, I am 6' 3" and have plenty of room in front. the back is useless but 90% of the time its just me. I am struggling with some quality issues, sync SUCKS, hvac actuator has gone out, and twice now it has left me stranded with a dead battery. and last but not least the mileage is not all that great. took a trip last weekend to AZ, 200 miles with the cruise set at 80mph (I drove slow to see if would help) and still only got 29mpg.

They are both fun little cars, for me the fiesta is more fun to drive every day.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
I prefer the Focus ST

Usually only a bit more when optioned similar. The trunk area is a bit better designed and cleaner in the Focus (like with the seats folded down it covers everything where as the Fiesta you can see under to the spare tire). I also preferred the center stack of the Focus more

That said both are hilariously fun

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I was in the same boat as you this summer. Test drove all 3, both st's and the turbo 3cyl. the 3cyl was much slower than I had hoped so that was out. the focus had mad torque steer and was too much money. the Fiesta had close to the same room (they are both too small inside) but was tons more fun to drive. no torque steer, no wheel spin, just a blast. I bought the Fiesta not just cause it was better to drive but it was way cheaper. there was a good 3-4k difference between them. I drive the little shit every day, I am 6' 3" and have plenty of room in front. the back is useless but 90% of the time its just me. I am struggling with some quality issues, sync SUCKS, hvac actuator has gone out, and twice now it has left me stranded with a dead battery. and last but not least the mileage is not all that great. took a trip last weekend to AZ, 200 miles with the cruise set at 80mph (I drove slow to see if would help) and still only got 29mpg.

They are both fun little cars, for me the fiesta is more fun to drive every day.

Hrm, I had a buddy who was big in the SRT4 game say that the nice part of a FoST was how linear the power was, compared to the same power from a 2.4L turbo car that had a huge torque midrange torque spike.

What issues are you having with Sync? I love that about my parents focus, I wish I knew that the 10+ fusions had Sync otherwise I wouldve searched harder for one with it. Thats the only major gripe I have about my car is that its the plain jane stereo and now that its 2014 and blutooth connectivity is pretty much standard, thats annoying to still have a audio jack hookup and no hands-free calling.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Hrm, I had a buddy who was big in the SRT4 game say that the nice part of a FoST was how linear the power was, compared to the same power from a 2.4L turbo car that had a huge torque midrange torque spike.

What issues are you having with Sync? I love that about my parents focus, I wish I knew that the 10+ fusions had Sync otherwise I wouldve searched harder for one with it. Thats the only major gripe I have about my car is that its the plain jane stereo and now that its 2014 and blutooth connectivity is pretty much standard, thats annoying to still have a audio jack hookup and no hands-free calling.

Just get an aftermarket hu with BT

Never_Enough

Established Member
Neither. Mazdaspeed3 if you have to have new & wrong wheel drive. Otherwise, used Mazdaspeed6 GT.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Just get an aftermarket hu with BT

eh, not really impressed with the aftermarket stuff. It just looks so tacky nowadays to me. OEM head units arent all annoying with weird buttons and shit, and then you gotta get some module to get your steering wheel stuff to work right.

Users who are viewing this thread