considering buying a twin turbo cobra need HELP

mapa03

Established Member
hey SVTP, i have recently been on the hunt for a terminator and i came across a twin turbo vert in colorado and I inquired about it and the owner didnt seem to know much. Story on it is that his uncle bought it brand new and took it to a shop called HP performance out in Roswell New mexico. Now this is my first TT terminator I have inquired about and I really dont know where to start looking, is there anything specific i should look for besides the normal? has anyone ever heard of this shop or know the owner? I did a little research on the shop and found some horror stories. But the owner says he drove it from new mexico to denver which was a 500+ mile trip and it ran fine. Here is a link to the ad on CL. Thanks in advance for all the help/suggestions.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5233218603.html

cj428mach

Established Member
Unless you're an expert at mod motors and terminators I wouldn't even consider such a car will probably be a total disaster.

stangfreak

Established Member
hp performance are the ones who used to build the terminator twin turbo kits that mount behind the bumper. some used to say that the kits sucked and what not. Honestly, the cobra's in my area and a mach 1 with the hp turbo kit, all ran crazy strong. 8 second cars with that kit. fit and finish was perfect IMO and for the price, you couldn't beat that kit. There out of business. I know one person back in the day who sent his yellow c5 z06 to that shop in NM to have the car done. TT kit. Mustang magic was supposed to buy HP performances machines to make the turbo kit pipings. Keep in mind turbo cars are a bit more finicky.

Woody6799

Established Member
Unless you know how to wrench stay away from turbo mod motors. Most twin screws are plug and play but turbos are all custom. If something goes wrong and you can't fix it yourself its going to get expensive fast.

Venomous 03

Established Member
If youre not familiar with turbo cars in general,i would recommend not to buy.Turbo cars are higher maintainence.There alot more components to a twin turbo sytem than a blower.
If you cant go up to a turbo cobra knowing what to look for,id say stay away.

Venomous 03

Established Member
BUUUUT if you do decide to get it,id contact HP to get more info about the car and what work was done to it

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It's likely the way I'm reading your post but I get the impression you don't know much about turbo Cobras, and possibly turbo setups in general.

If that's the case, you'd really want to read up on how turbos systems work and need to flow of this would be the first turbo system you'd be getting into.

If you have experience with turbo kits on different cars, and know how the systems should work, then the only real concerns would be:

-a leak down and compression test to make sure it hasn't been over boosted, this is a given.

-a solid multipoint inspection to check for previous wrecks, breakage, damage, or traditional wear.

These two really go for any used fun time car, or moderately priced used car IMO.

- on a more in depth level, you'll want to listen to the turbo chargers for squeaks or tapping/rubbing from the wheels. Also check to see how well they spin once the engine is shut off. It's nice to see at least 3-5 seconds of very smooth free spin if journal bearing. If ball bearing, 15-20 seconds is excellent, 10 is still fine.

Check the catch can for any metal, both before, and after a test drive. Offer to drain it after a test drive. It will have minor oil obviously but should be very close to spotless after a 10-20 mile drive, regardless of driving style. If it's overly black, or has any partial matter, wear is obviously plaguing components.

Check the coolant overflows for stains. Turbo cars can over heat easily if back pressure is too high.

Listen carefully for vacuum or boost leaks. Check a vacuum gauge at idle and cruising if one is present.

Listen up near the kmember carefully to the exhaust and hotside for leaks or hissing of the headers/manifolds, and down pipes. It should be smooth and clean sounding. Exhaust leaks on turbo cars are much more annoying to address and properly seal off than on na cars. Small miss alignments of plumbing can be a never ending nightmare of repair.

Honestly I could go on, and I don't want to because I'd love to spare you time if you know all these things, and politely say don't go for this one if you aren't familiar with turbo systems.

Best of luck, whatever you buy, now or later, daily driver or fun time car, if it doesn't have a warranty, practice due diligence and throw $2-300 at it for a compression and leak down, plus a nice 90-150pt inspection. It's cheap insurance. Terminators are great but 12 years old now.

Good luck. Feel free to ask me any questions you have if you're still interested in a turbo cobra. They are awesome, but you really want to know how turbo systems work, and I couldn't tell by your original post if you're good on them or new to them.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
BUUUUT if you do decide to get it,id contact HP to get more info about the car and what work was done to it

Good advice on both your posts, I think hp is closed now though, one other poster said so in a previous comment.

mapa03

Established Member
Unless you're an expert at mod motors and terminators I wouldn't even consider such a car will probably be a total disaster.

I have had many turbo diesel cars and trucks. I know this is a little different but might be a little to modded for me. might stick with a twinscrew. thanks again!

mapa03

Established Member
hp performance are the ones who used to build the terminator twin turbo kits that mount behind the bumper. some used to say that the kits sucked and what not. Honestly, the cobra's in my area and a mach 1 with the hp turbo kit, all ran crazy strong. 8 second cars with that kit. fit and finish was perfect IMO and for the price, you couldn't beat that kit. There out of business. I know one person back in the day who sent his yellow c5 z06 to that shop in NM to have the car done. TT kit. Mustang magic was supposed to buy HP performances machines to make the turbo kit pipings. Keep in mind turbo cars are a bit more finicky.

I have heard many mixed reviews on these guys but I am not looking for a daily car just a nice cruiser and a show car I can go around town with my wife. thanks for the suggestions. appreciate it.

mapa03

Established Member
Unless you know how to wrench stay away from turbo mod motors. Most twin screws are plug and play but turbos are all custom. If something goes wrong and you can't fix it yourself its going to get expensive fast.

youre probably right. I will most likely stick with a twin screw. I am not afraid to tear it apart if anyhting were to happen to it but finding the time would probably be the most difficult. Thanks for your suggestions.

mapa03

Established Member
Yeah just buy my whipple DSG in Los Angeles

I would my man if it was SB or Comp orange. I have been working hard for these past few years to save up enough cash to buy one and my wife said she wouldnt agree with me purchasing one unless its the one i want because we plan on keeping it forever. I'm sure your termi is sick man! good luck on your sale. Thanks!

mapa03

Established Member
If youre not familiar with turbo cars in general,i would recommend not to buy.Turbo cars are higher maintainence.There alot more components to a twin turbo sytem than a blower.
If you cant go up to a turbo cobra knowing what to look for,id say stay away.

Ya ill most likely pass since I wouldnt have the time to deal with any issues on the car if they were to arise. thanks for the suggestions.

mapa03

Established Member
It's likely the way I'm reading your post but I get the impression you don't know much about turbo Cobras, and possibly turbo setups in general.

If that's the case, you'd really want to read up on how turbos systems work and need to flow of this would be the first turbo system you'd be getting into.

If you have experience with turbo kits on different cars, and know how the systems should work, then the only real concerns would be:

-a leak down and compression test to make sure it hasn't been over boosted, this is a given.

-a solid multipoint inspection to check for previous wrecks, breakage, damage, or traditional wear.

These two really go for any used fun time car, or moderately priced used car IMO.

- on a more in depth level, you'll want to listen to the turbo chargers for squeaks or tapping/rubbing from the wheels. Also check to see how well they spin once the engine is shut off. It's nice to see at least 3-5 seconds of very smooth free spin if journal bearing. If ball bearing, 15-20 seconds is excellent, 10 is still fine.

Check the catch can for any metal, both before, and after a test drive. Offer to drain it after a test drive. It will have minor oil obviously but should be very close to spotless after a 10-20 mile drive, regardless of driving style. If it's overly black, or has any partial matter, wear is obviously plaguing components.

Check the coolant overflows for stains. Turbo cars can over heat easily if back pressure is too high.

Listen carefully for vacuum or boost leaks. Check a vacuum gauge at idle and cruising if one is present.

Listen up near the kmember carefully to the exhaust and hotside for leaks or hissing of the headers/manifolds, and down pipes. It should be smooth and clean sounding. Exhaust leaks on turbo cars are much more annoying to address and properly seal off than on na cars. Small miss alignments of plumbing can be a never ending nightmare of repair.

Honestly I could go on, and I don't want to because I'd love to spare you time if you know all these things, and politely say don't go for this one if you aren't familiar with turbo systems.

Best of luck, whatever you buy, now or later, daily driver or fun time car, if it doesn't have a warranty, practice due diligence and throw $2-300 at it for a compression and leak down, plus a nice 90-150pt inspection. It's cheap insurance. Terminators are great but 12 years old now.

Good luck. Feel free to ask me any questions you have if you're still interested in a turbo cobra. They are awesome, but you really want to know how turbo systems work, and I couldn't tell by your original post if you're good on them or new to them.

First, thank you for the kind suggestions. I know the basics compression,leaks etc.. I ve owned many turbo diesel cars and trucks and learned how to work my way around them if a issue arised. In this case i am just looking for a clean and modded cobra i can go to shows with my wife in. i dont really have the time to tackle any issues if they were to arise and i wouldnt want the car to just sit in the garage if that were the case. I will more than likely pass on the deal and stick to a twin screw. thank you again for your kind suggestions and willingness to help.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I have an HP Twin turbo 03 cobra. It's been twin turbo'd for almost 10 years now. Here is the maintenance I've performed:

Oil changes. I do this based on time, roughly every six months.
Air filter cleaning (I did it once, like 7 years ago)
1 Alternator (factory location). It did suck to get to as I had to remove a few pipes.
Tighten all hot and cold side clamps (once a year on average, have to remove front bumper).
2 Oxygen sensors
Brake pads/rotors
Rear end housing (twisted axle tube)
Eaton Diff (broken spider gears, Wavetrac diff now)
Cooling Fan (the ring around the blades separated)
3 clutches (automatic now)

I drive this car for fun and do not depend on it for anything other than a good time. This is not a bad list for 10 years of turbocharged action (26,000 miles).

I'm not blind to the fact that plenty of others have much higher maintenance costs than I do, but the only component I've ever seen anyone have "fail" is the turbo itself. Most people can't resist going for 700+hp on pump gas and end up eating their motor up. After a hefty bill on the rebuild they cut their losses and off-load the car. I don't drive around with my car turned up. I keep it at 12psi, which makes right around 600rwhp. If I want more power, I up the octane with race gas or torco, otherwise I leave it alone.

stangfreak

Established Member
I have an HP Twin turbo 03 cobra. It's been twin turbo'd for almost 10 years now. Here is the maintenance I've performed:

Oil changes. I do this based on time, roughly every six months.
Air filter cleaning (I did it once, like 7 years ago)
1 Alternator (factory location). It did suck to get to as I had to remove a few pipes.
Tighten all hot and cold side clamps (once a year on average, have to remove front bumper).
2 Oxygen sensors
Brake pads/rotors
Rear end housing (twisted axle tube)
Eaton Diff (broken spider gears, Wavetrac diff now)
Cooling Fan (the ring around the blades separated)
3 clutches (automatic now)

I drive this car for fun and do not depend on it for anything other than a good time. This is not a bad list for 10 years of turbocharged action (26,000 miles).

I'm not blind to the fact that plenty of others have much higher maintenance costs than I do, but the only component I've ever seen anyone have "fail" is the turbo itself. Most people can't resist going for 700+hp on pump gas and end up eating their motor up. After a hefty bill on the rebuild they cut their losses and off-load the car. I don't drive around with my car turned up. I keep it at 12psi, which makes right around 600rwhp. If I want more power, I up the octane with race gas or torco, otherwise I leave it alone.

so awesome to see your car is still going strong. I really wish HP was still in business. I would honestly buy a kit just to have. couldnt beat the price of that kit. and all the cars ran hard.

Honestly , rolling around on 12lbs with an auto tt setup is all you need for the street. mustang magics tuner who had the silver gt with the cobra motor swap, auto, hp twin turbo kit, would roll around tops at 14lbs 12-14 and said its all he needed. If anything more powerful came along, he would hit the scrabble boost button and shoot up to 17lbs. No more. Your car is the perfect to dominate the street.

Pretty sure your familiar with this street lol. but this is my friend aj's car at 14lbs of boost only, twin 61's with a 4r70w. low boost!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfoZdETRvDU

smashedheadcat

Established Member
so awesome to see your car is still going strong. I really wish HP was still in business. I would honestly buy a kit just to have. couldnt beat the price of that kit. and all the cars ran hard.

Honestly , rolling around on 12lbs with an auto tt setup is all you need for the street. mustang magics tuner who had the silver gt with the cobra motor swap, auto, hp twin turbo kit, would roll around tops at 14lbs 12-14 and said its all he needed. If anything more powerful came along, he would hit the scrabble boost button and shoot up to 17lbs. No more. Your car is the perfect to dominate the street.

Pretty sure your familiar with this street lol. but this is my friend aj's car at 14lbs of boost only, twin 61's with a 4r70w. low boost!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfoZdETRvDU

Loved that video and certainly recognize the street. I guess I can compare my car to somewhere near that for street power. That is plenty of power for messing around with. However, if something faster than that stumbles upon me, it'd beat me on the street as I will not turn up the boost. I haven't ran 12psi at the track since the auto swap, but I went 10.60 with the six speed at that boost (only pass) which is pretty snappy. I do treat myself to some VP 100 every now and then if I go out looking for trouble. I did pick up a set of ID1300 injectors which opens the e85 option up for me, so that'll be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread