Considering adding longtubes to catback

T.O.Snake

Established Member
About a month ago, I added a Borla stinger catback to my car. I really like the sound/tone (considerably deeper than stock) and the fact it has essentially no drone. The only thing I wish it had was a bit more volume.

I've been toying with getting a set of longtubes and catted x-pipe (either Kooks or American Racing, most likely) to add some more volume, while giving a performance boost as well. My question is, will the longtubes and catted X add drone of any kind, or any raspiness? The car currently has neither and I don't want to add any. Is most of the volume increase under heavy or WOT, or at all rpm ranges? Lastly, how much volume should I expect to gain? Will it be WAY louder? Possible to put a number to it? (i.e. 25/50% louder than just catback?).

Oh, and any comments on the Kooks vs. American Racing choice? Both look to be excellent products, but I know Kooks have been around much longer. Also, if my Borla cutback is a 2.5" system, does that mean I have to go with a longtubes/x that narrows to 2.5? I see that at least one of them (Kooks, I think) is advertised as a 3".

Thanks, and sorry for the long list of questions.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Long tubes are ok for are cars but just doing a off road x-pipe wakes them up so much, and the drone shouldnt be bad at all.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Long tubes are ok for are cars but just doing a off road x-pipe wakes them up so much, and the drone shouldnt be bad at all.

Yeah, I should've mentioned I can't do offroad because the emissions regs up here are pretty strict. Plus I think that might end up louder than I want with no cats. Also hear it can add some rasp.

On that note, would an offroad X alone be louder than a longtubes/catted X?

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I just did long tubes a month or so ago and he's it makes it louder. I already had a off road x pipe so knew what I was coming from. I also have the loudest mufflers possible the Ford racing 5GT which like at 1800-2k has a drone and then when accelerating fast has raspyness. So muffler plays a huge part in in sound.
Just a headed up be prepared to cuss and get frustrated doing install. It's a pain and I was just standing back watching.

acobra03

Established Member
+1 on the SGT drone...I like the sound once it's above 2000 but that drone kills me if I'm cruising 70-75mph! I think switching them out will be my next mod!

acobra03

Established Member
I just did long tubes a month or so ago and he's it makes it louder. I already had a off road x pipe so knew what I was coming from. I also have the loudest mufflers possible the Ford racing 5GT which like at 1800-2k has a drone and then when accelerating fast has raspyness. So muffler plays a huge part in in sound.
Just a headed up be prepared to cuss and get frustrated doing install. It's a pain and I was just standing back watching.
Did the drone get worse or better with the X pipe?

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run AR Longtubes and a 3inch pipes to a corsa X and a 4inch Corsa Catback. No drone in the car, but at WOT....lookout !

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Thanks for the replies so far.

My borlas aren't raspy and don't drone, as I said. They're deeper than stock, and somewhat louder. So I'm trying to figure out how MUCH louder I should expect things to get, both while cruising and at WOT (which I know will be much louder). I guess I just don't want it to be too crazy when cruising.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
The x pipe will make it raspy. Since you are keeping the cats you'll be fine. The media will cancel out a lot of the pulses bouncing back. If you ever start cranking up the boost keep an eye on the cats. I have seen a few fail on cars going over the 16lb mark with aftermarket tunes.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Yeah, I figured staying catted would keep the raspiness in check. Had Borla stingers and magnaflow catted x on my 04 cobra and it sounded great - very smooth and no rasp at all. Just never had experience with longtubes as well.

As for boost levels, down the road I'll either at least pulley the car, or maybe go tvs, particularly if prices drop due to the '13 Shelby blower prices.

termilover

Established Member
If you run the kooks long tubes and a catted X pipe are you required to get a tune to turn off O2 censors?

Or because it is a catted pipe then it will not throw an engine light?

T.O.Snake

Established Member
So am I right in thinking the longtubes and catted x won't add rasp and should basically keep a similar tone to the Borla mufflers? I'm still concerned about added drone, though....and curious how much of a loudness difference there will be at various rpm ranges.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just know there is a difference between the 5GT (five) and SGT. The 5GT is louder than the SGT. There is one Ford muffler that is quieter than both of those as well. Check the for sale section here too - heck of a lot cheaper than buying new.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread