Considering a Pantera. Any advice?

Bobrammer

Established Member
I've always wanted a Pantera. I'm finally starting to seriously consider getting one. Have any of you guys had any experience with these cars? The engine is a 351 Cleveland. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks! RGR

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the wiring is garbage, but I, like you, love those cars.

you could probably transplant a 03 dohc in there too.

they are fun cars, but hopefully you have a degree in electrical engineering.

SVTCOUPLE

Established Member
They are pretty damn hot inside even with the A/C blowing full blast, living in Dallas it's going to be a spring / fall car.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Also, be very critical of the transmission. The trannys are some of the best Ford put into a car but they are very (VERY) expensive. I was seriously considering buying one a year ago, and everyone I talked to said to ensure the tranny is perfect. Keep in mind, most are, but it would suck to spend all that money on the car just to drop a huge amount on the tranny if it took a poop.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
I blew the doors off the one that was in my run group this past weekend.

dsc_0063.jpg

They tend to rust right before your eyes too. When new, they were recalled due to rust problems.

Ever had the sorry pleasure of maintaining magnesium wheels? Yeah you can get the campagnolos new but its still $$$$

Wolfie351

Established Member
Do NOT buy a Pantera with any hint of rust and buy the best one you can afford. Rebuilding these beasts is a lot different and more expensive than your standard classic car. I would even recommend waiting and saving up to buy a completely restored car. If the transaxle gives you any problems in shifting, move onto the next Pantera or subtract $4000 from their asking price. Rebuilding those things is $$$$ The engine is cheap and simple so I would practically ignore that when shopping for one. If the seller brags about the engine, just say "who cares?" Just be concerned about the overall condition and the body. There's tons more, but there are some basics.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Awesome looking cars.
Agree above..
Buy one, but make it a good one, or save your cash until you can afford one in better physical condition.
As far as the comment about one getting outran in the above post, that may well be true, but a Pantera looks 10 times faster than our cars sitting still. And chances are, you might see 5 more while driving one for the rest of your time on earth, all the while seeing 4 of our cars on every street corner..
I love Panteras.
There is one on the net with a Lightning engine in it....
Wow.....
L.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
DO IT !!!!
I worked at a Pantera dealership in the early 70's and drove many....later I owned a 72 and modded it, what a rush! Not much on creature comfort, but WTF, it goes hella fast, accelerates hella quick, corners on rails and the brakes are the best I have ever felt. ...oh yeah, and it dosen't look to bad either.
On one of my best days in it I caused a built 'vette to blow a motor on the 405 freeway.
Correct on the electrical comment...wires go in one end of the harness one color and come out the other end a completely different color. You won't be able to powershift that ZF, but you get used to it.
:beer:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
so u must have been driving age in the 70s. giving u the benefit of the doubt, lets say u were 16 in 79.

That puts you right around 41.

what kind of 41y/o uses the word HELLA?

It sounds stupid when 16 year old punks say it.

yikes

sam

Established Member
it's the lowest sitting car iv'e ever been in. you can sit on a chair and wax the roof. my friend and i went to florida to check one out for him about 5yrs ago. he bought the car as a fixer upper for 25k. after a rebuilt on the motor, new paint, new cooling system, tires, it,s still not street worthy. still has no ac,wipers,and half the electric . this will not be a good street car. after about 15 min. i was ready to get out. but if you want the coolest looking car at a ford event and can trailer it there, the car shines there.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by sam
it's the lowest sitting car iv'e ever been in. you can sit on a chair and wax the roof. my friend and i went to florida to check one out for him about 5yrs ago. he bought the car as a fixer upper for 25k. after a rebuilt on the motor, new paint, new cooling system, tires, it,s still not street worthy. still has no ac,wipers,and half the electric . this will not be a good street car. after about 15 min. i was ready to get out. but if you want the coolest looking car at a ford event and can trailer it there, the car shines there.

For $25K how could you go wrong? An aquantence of mine restores aluminum head 396 Camaro's, GTO Judges, 70.5 Z/28's, Yenko and Berger Chevelles and the money he gets for these things in simply sinfull. (granted, they're frame off, 100 point factory paint marked resto's). But a Pantera? They didn't make many of them and as far as I know there aren't any rollong off of the factory line right now.

So what if they've got the wiring of a European Jag. (Talk to a resto guy about Lucas wiring and FI systems - ooof!).

I used to work in a shop that specialized in restored circa 1955 190SL Mercedes whose resto bill would often be higher than the street value of the vehicle. I doubt you'd have this problem with a Pantera.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Snake'n Kitty

SVT Guy
Established Member
Most of the above comments are correct! I've had mine for 10 years now and have experienced most of the problems mentioned above. The wiring harness, while changing colors from one end to the other hasn't been that much of a hassle, though. Mostly ground and connector problems.

Watch the tranny, especially 2nd gear synchro. Check it after the car's good and warm, then downshift from 3rd. Any crunch and expect to have to replace it. the synchro isn't too expensive ($300), but the service is, cause there aren't many people left who really know how to do it. If you need a full rebuild, expect a $7K bill. Replacement ring & pinion? $3500. Gearsets are about a grand a pop. The good news is you can still get a brand new transaxle! (for around $15K).

As for rust, watch out! I've spent about $15K so far de-rusting mine and I'm still not done! Body panels (NOS, new old stock, not Nawwwsss) are extremely expensive, like $3500 for an inner rear wheelhouse, $5K for a quarterpanel, etc...

But, with all that being said, they're still a better bang for the buck than their competition (Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, etc...), more fun to drive (can you say torque?), and easier/cheaper to maintain, as well. Plus, they look sooo sweeet!!!!

97snaketrplB

They did not all get the 351c if I remember correctly. The blue block was the cleveland, but many got the windsor (can't recall the block color). That being said, while they are fun to look at, I don't know if I'd make the plunge and buy one if I were you. There isn't, nor has there ever been a real hot market for them, and they are very fragile cars. Don't get me wrong, I love classics (restored a 67 chevelle, and am currently restoring a 64 goat), but a pantera is neither a wise investment, nor a good driver. Anyway, in the end it all comes down to what you want, as what I, or anyone else on this board for that matter thinks, means squat.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by jackers
Also, be very critical of the transmission. The trannys are some of the best Ford put into a car but they are very (VERY) expensive. I was seriously considering buying one a year ago, and everyone I talked to said to ensure the tranny is perfect. Keep in mind, most are, but it would suck to spend all that money on the car just to drop a huge amount on the tranny if it took a poop.
The ZF Transaxle was not even close to being one of ford's best, maybe the most complex and expensive, but anything ZF made is hardly "the best"

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
Originally posted by quadcammer
so u must have been driving age in the 70s. giving u the benefit of the doubt, lets say u were 16 in 79.

That puts you right around 41.

what kind of 41y/o uses the word HELLA?

It sounds stupid when 16 year old punks say it.

yikes

Sorry that you couldn't handle my choice of words, but I got my point across. I will try not to offend your judgemental pompous a$$ next time.
Please forgive my insensitivity to those that can't handle light conversation. :loser:

Users who are viewing this thread