Considering a Career as a Cop. (LEOS Only)

ModularFan

Established Member
So Ive been thinking alot about what I want to do with my life. Although Iam still unsure Iam 20 years old, I know people will still say Iam still young, But I feel I need to get a move on right now. I went to college for a semester didn't like it. I been recently living in PA. And I've considered becoming a LEO.

I have read somethings online and here a little bit. some departments require more extensive training then others. Where I live there's a small town department named Tullytown Police Department, I have considered applying and going from there. How extensive is the training compared to NJ perhaps.

Do you need a college degree in PA to become a leo or do they have a civil service test like jersey?

I have also though about doing Volunteer Firefighting, just to do on the side. I know there are cops who do both.

aquill1

Established Member
If you are serious about being in law enforcement I'd get some college under your belt. I don't have a degree but smaller departments will generally get a lot of people that are interested and they will generally have all sorts of people to pick through. Say you have 10 people apply and 5 have military, 3 have a degree and 2 have no degree, who do you think they'll go with? I've already been in that scenario with a smaller department here in the DFW area. I was one of 151 who originally tested and the picking went down to about 80 people. After the physical assessment test we had about 50 left. By the end of the personal history booklet/background and polygraph there were only 8 of us that went to the oral review board (last step in the process before getting a letter for employment.) I was one of 8 people and they were only taking 6 candidates. I didn't get it and if I had a degree I would more than likely gotten one of the spots.

Larger departments will generally have more spots open and sometimes have a smaller list or requirements to meet. Personally I like a larger department because I am always busy and don't have to write tickets, I'd rather go to calls than write tickets-unless they are worthy of course.

I can't comment on whether or not they require a degree, your best bet is to talk to any department you are thinking about. Easiest way is to email about speaking to a recruiter, your best source is their website. Their site says they aren't hiring but try emailing someone or going and speaking to someone within the department to maybe get on an email list for when they are hiring.

Hope that helps...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
In this job market, departments want the most bang for their buck. They are going to hire to most qualified candidate. You need to possess critical skills and make yourself a standout candidate to even be considered in this economy.

Users who are viewing this thread