Considering 996/997 Turbo

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
Prices on 996TTs are in the tank and for no good reason I can see. I realize it'll need more care than most cars but at today's prices, a guy can get a low mile example for mid-40s. It's not like it'd be a daily driver, either.

Anybody here have driving and/or ownership experience with one of these? I've looked at other sites but having cars in common with many of you ('03 KB'd Cobra, C6 Z06), I'd at least have a point of reference.

I'm not interested in the track - just typical street and backroad driving.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
My friend still has the one he bought during his prime. He made millions off all the Lendingtree commercials back in the day. His has been reliable, it's making a ridiculous amount of power, 600ish wheel. Stock clutch didn't last long, he's hands on and has consistently said that once you understand them you can maintain it yourself.

xenodragon

Established Member
Someone once told me the 996s were like the red headed step child for Porsche enthusiasts. Like they didn't consider them a real Porsche or something....no idea why and just something I heard. Maybe that's why the 996s are low...but the 997s are still pricey

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Someone once told me the 996s were like the red headed step child for Porsche enthusiasts. Like they didn't consider them a real Porsche or something....no idea why and just something I heard. Maybe that's why the 996s are low...but the 997s are still pricey

Old guys probably bitter because it was the first water-cooled turbo engine. Just like the whiners when the M3 went to a V8, then turbos.

Talk to ScottinSSMD, he upgraded from an 03 Cobra to a 996 turbo maybe 5 years ago and still has it. He drives that thing hard too, track and street.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
Old guys probably bitter because it was the first water-cooled turbo engine. Just like the whiners when the M3 went to a V8, then turbos.

Talk to ScottinSSMD, he upgraded from an 03 Cobra to a 996 turbo maybe 5 years ago and still has it. He drives that thing hard too, track and street.

Exactly. I also own a Carrera 964 (aircooled) and it is a blast to drive. Even though it lacks the horsepower compared to my 04 Cobra, it handles amazingly and the quality is superb. Yes the older folks in my local PCA club don't like the 996's (as much) as they were the first water cooled versions of the 911. Be careful of the first run of the 996's (turbo and non turbo) as some had internal issues with bearing problems (they have been addressed already by now). Honestly you cant go wrong with a 911 (996 or 997). They are an all around great sports car and depending on your wallet size can be made to be fairly brutal on the street.

Para81

Established Member

No.

Gravik

Established Member
Dat sound is intoxicating

[youtube_browser]mDSsZS2AD8U[/youtube_browser]

Para81

Established Member
The 996 series was completely ruined by one small but essential design.....the new headlights. Radical departure from the classic round 911 headlights - Japanese like and awful. The car also lost it's wide body looks....(993) I would never own a 996.

997 was a return to the real Porsche look.

Sound familiar?

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
The 996 series was completely ruined by one small but essential design.....the new headlights. Radical departure from the classic round 911 headlights - Japanese like and awful. The car also lost it's wide body looks....(993) I would never own a 996.

Sound familiar?

Bingo!

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member

Yeah, I see that. Fortunately I care more about the experience than what i consider to be mule-headed bias. Works in my favor because those attitudes are probably the biggest reason these are within the means of many.

They said that about the 928. Unfortunately they had that one right. I think Car & Driver said it best (paraphrased): "No matter how cheaply you buy a 928, it will cost you way more than you ever expected." I had one of the sonsabitches and that was the damned truth. Same for the 944 Turbo I couldn't live without.

Sound familiar?

I'm not crazy about the "broken egg" headlights but it's hardly a deal-killer. As for the wide-body departure, get an S or Turbo and that's not an issue, at least for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread