Connecting Rod Selection

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
Though my build isn't a GT500 5.4 4v, those that have knowledge of 5.4 short block internals can help. My build stalled out for a while getting back on track. A 5.4 3V with close to stock CR 9.8-10:1, will be NA for a time and down the road maybe a centri. I already have most everything, some of the components are over kill for a build that might see around 7000rpm or 700rwhp at the most. The connecting rods are Oliver ultra light series billet with Clevite H-Series Rod Bearings. Are these an all around stronger better suited rod for higher HP and RPM's then a 4340 forged H beam?
The 5.4 has a long rod and stroke so I want something that can handle moderate abuse at the strip occasionally but also hold up to the longevity demanded of daily driving activities. I got a great deal on the ultra light rods BNIB but could always sell them and get 4340 H beam's with money to spare.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I spoke with Oliver about this. they said about 700-800 HP is the limit on the Ultralight rods. So if youre building a 5.4 shortblock for NA high RPM performance, you picked a great rod.

Make sure no matter what you pick up billet oil pump gears and a billet crankshaft sprocket. If you have an iron block, youre set. If you have aluminum, consider upgrading the chain guide pivot pins.

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
I spoke with Oliver about this. they said about 700-800 HP is the limit on the Ultralight rods. So if youre building a 5.4 shortblock for NA high RPM performance, you picked a great rod.

Make sure no matter what you pick up billet oil pump gears and a billet crankshaft sprocket. If you have an iron block, youre set. If you have aluminum, consider upgrading the chain guide pivot

The block is an Iron 5.4 3v, I'm going with a set of the billet timming guides and arms over the factory plastic. Would the Oliver rods still be the better choice with a power adder?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The Ultralites are better suited to NA, you’re probably best to sell and pick a rotating assembly for the intended boosted use.
Or sell your existing parts and grab my assembled stock 5.8 shortblock :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread