Confused

svtmesoon

Established Member
Hello all, I have been looking for a Perf. red 99 Cobra w/black or gray interior for a while now, and found one, 1150 miles away from home. First, after finding gobs of red Cobras with tan int. I finally find one in black. I look up the prod. run for 99. It says most were black, some were gray, and 7 were other color. I know this #7 is wrong. I have looked at more than 7 w/ tan myself. Whats up with this?
Second, I go to my local dealer today to check the VIN# of this cobra, it said that this car had not had any recall work performed. According to blue oval news, they were all recalled for the performance problems, (intake, exhaust, computer reprogram) and the irs problem(vibration between 60some-70some mph)
I surely don't want this car if the problems have not been fixed. The guy at Ford also said that the warranty had just expired.
If I went totally by what BON says, I would be terrified(I am kind of leery now) to buy a 99 Cobra.
The car I'm looking at is a red 99, blk int. 35000 mi, $21800. What do you guys think? I really like the new body style, but don't want to pay 21 large for a piece of shit. The 01s are about $28-29,000. Might as well get an 03 if your gonna spend that kind of $! Thanks, everyone, and Good day!
Ric

svtmesoon

Established Member
Me again,I've been reading some other posts, and someone was talking about graphite interior. It dawned on me that parchment must be tan, duh, I was thinkig it was gray. I thot saddle was the name of the tan int., but saddle must be the name of the tan top. Now if that isn't confusing? You gotta pay close attn to all of these colors with names.
Ric

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The pre-99 Cobra's "tan" leather and cloth interiors were also called Saddle. What makes it confusing is they changed the name of the interior (to Parchment) without changing the name of the top...

This will help:

Cobra Production Info

:-D

svtmesoon

Established Member
Hey Jimbo, do the 99s come in Perf red? Alot of the ads say so but, I read somewhere that perf red was exclusive to the 35th ann stang. It also said that Rio red is the color for 99, and 01. Is Rio red "pure" red, without the faint hint of orange like the perf red is? Do you know? I just love the perf red, it commands attention, ya know what I mean? Later, Ric

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The '99 red was "Rio Red", paint code (E8), this was the same red as on the '94/5s and '97s. The '96 and '98s are Lazer Red (E9). The '01s are available in two reds: Lazer Red (E9) and Performance Red (ES). Lazer is a metallic red, Rio and Performance are not...

HTH :-D

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Good luck finding a performance red 01. Lord knows I tried my ass off and came up empty. Got my second favorite color though.:rolling:

KsCobraGirl

I also wanted a red 1999 with the darker interior. Last month I was in K.C. (I live in Wichita...about 200 miles) when from the highway I was lucky enough to see one sitting at a dealer. After test drive I had to have this car. I was verry lucky! It was exactly what I wanted....
Red, 1999, convert. midnight black leather seats, power lumbar supports, MACH 460 sound system, CD, Remote keyless entry. Red painted interior panels........This car even says Cobra !!!
A snake lovers dream....come true.......
I do know that my computer has been reprogramed, as far as the other recall Item's I'm still checking. What did they say/who said the warranty coverage was no longer in effect? I would be interested to know....
I'm also checking on production info, and something I found in the maintenance book, showing a new engine at 30,000 miles.... The car had 33,000 when purchased....34,000 now.....
:thumbsup:
I paid $22,300 for my new baby, before I added theft gurad, dealers fee's, and other BS...... However that was CASH price, (I never understood purchasing a car, and having a bank own it before me...)
I can say that, I have had this car well up over 120 before backing out of it, and I can say mine has no vibration problems..... Or any other problems...
However I have heard a "clunck noise" from time to time. At first I thought it was only when releasing the clutch...Now I have heard it at other times... After listening to it, I think it's coming from the traction bar...which could just be the norm... I do know that having the traction control system on or off makes no difference....
It's not loud, and I haven't heard it often.....
But I'm having it checked out just to be sure...I'll let ya know if it turns out to be anything......Hope this helps !!!
Now that I have a new baby, anyone want to help me name mine..... I dont know about going from working on cars, to making brownies.... However I'm sure I could come up with something interesting for your help......

svtmesoon

Established Member
Hi, Cobragirl, I went to my local dealer here in Council Bluffs, Iowa and asked him to look up the VIN, and see if this car had had any recall work done. He did, and said that it only had front brake pads in Jan. 01, and a new power steering pump, Feb. 01.(Probably the dealer getting the car ready for resale?) He then told me that the car had just went out of warranty. (The car lot that has this car says that it IS still under warranty. Something about this car tells me to forget about it) He said that he could only look back so many months(I can't remember how many),and these latest repairs, don't reflect the life of the vehical(as far as warranty repairs go). I hope that this makes sense to you.

Later, Ric

Users who are viewing this thread