Confirm Shift Issue

K2AHollywood

Established Member
So this post like the title says, is mostly to confirm what I think Im pretty sure I know. Today, got in the car to leave work, yes its a DD, and stepped on the clutch pedal to find a crunch, sounded like plastic breaking. Now everytime I depress the clutch part way I can hear this clicking/creaking/shifting noise. Along with this, it has become hard to shift into second, third and fourth.

I serviced the tranny about 5k ago chasing the hard shift so Im sure another fluid change wont help and is not my culprit. Also Im sure its not the syncros; and by sure I mean I really hope its not and dont believe that I have three failing at the same time.

So Im thinking the noise and consequent shifting issues is from the quadrant its self and I need to replace it. Everyone agree. Also in using an aftermarket quadrant do I need to firewall adjuster? Why/why not?

01bluesnake

Established Member
sounds like the quad, yes. as far as firewall adj prefer to have one but can get away with just the adj cable, as any aftermarket quad can't self adj like the factory one.

Predatorbird

Established Member

Bite Me

Established Member
IMO dont touch an adjustable cable. I have read many things about them wearing and breaking. Stock cable is plenty strong and with a FWA you dont need an adjustable cable.

Get you a firewall adjuster and a quadrant. The fiore is bad ass, but bought by another company so I havent seen what has come out since the original ones.

MM is good of course.

I have the steeda set.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You might want to get a new cable as well for safe measure. I'm currently running the MM set up and I'm happy with it.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
ok I feel retarded, who/what is MM? Anyone have a link. Also I will not be doing an adjustable cable. I will be sticking with my current one unless it looks in bad shape. If I replace the quad and FWA and still have issues, I will install a new OE cable

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Have you lifted up on the clutch pedal yet? If you look under the dash (not so easy unless you remove the driver's seat), you can see the clutch quadrant. You should be able to see the broken stuff. If you lift up on the clutch pedal, there's a chance that you could bite on a different tooth, but I'm sure it won't last long since I believe it's designed to grab about a half dozen teeth or so.

01vert

Established Member
Whatever you do, DONT buy an aftermarket cable. Plenty here have had issues with cables and the stocker seems to be the strongest and most reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread