Concave wheels and wheel bearing dust cap

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
So I am having wheels built and the dust cap is huge on the front of these cars. Are there any options? Leaving it off, finding lower profile caps, etc.? Has anyone ran into this issue? I'd say the wheel seals out any weather quite well, so even though I dont want to go without the cap, I don't know if it would ever cause an issue.

I can certainly build around the tall cap but it knocks nearly an inch off of concavity of the front wheels.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I "dented" in my cap by nearly 3/4" to clear my 20x10's. There is a LOT of room between the inside of the cap and the spindle.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I "dented" in my cap by nearly 3/4" to clear my 20x10's. There is a LOT of room between the inside of the cap and the spindle.

They look plastic. So they will dent in? Good to know.

I have gotten two different opinions so is it bad to go without the cap? Isn't it a sealed bearing? My wheel bearing knowledge isn't the greatest ;)

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
They look plastic. So they will dent in? Good to know.

I have gotten two different opinions so is it bad to go without the cap? Isn't it a sealed bearing? My wheel bearing knowledge isn't the greatest ;)

It's a steel cap with a plastic/rubberized coating. The bearing is not sealed. It's sealed on the backside, but on the nut side it's not. I wouldn't run it without a cap honestly. Any dust or moisture will slowly but surely work its way in there and destroy the bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread