Computer Smarties help!

SohowcomeHottie

SVT Goddess
Established Member
Ok so I got a new hard drive, Zach installed it, everything works except for my sims game. Which is very weird, it gives me an error like it can't locate the cd rom. It installs the game just fine (Sims 2), but when I go to play it, it gives me this error. It worked just fine on my old hard drive. He didn't disconnect anything but the hard drive when he installed it. Funny thing about it, is it also doesn't detect my cd burner in my computer. He says it finds it at boot up but it somehow disappears or something. Anybody got any ideas? My UT2k4 cd plays fine. The CD is not scratched up, in fact I have the expansion pack and I tried installing that also and it gave the same error, and that cd is brand new.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
How many hard drives are in your machine? How many cd-rom drives are in your machine? Does the hard drive share an IDE channel with the cd-rom drive? Are you using the primary IDE port and the secondary IDE port? What are the jumper settings on your devices? This is a difficult problem to troubleshoot without the proper information. Tell me as much as you can about it and I'll see what I can do to help you. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
You need a SLAVE!!!!!!! Yea, you might want to repop your little black pins in the back of the HD, its conflicting...with something else. Check your manual..its should tell you how to do it. :thumbsup:

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
I agree with the post by pwnt04. Try to be more specific. Try to run The Sims again, write down what the error message says exactly. The more information you provide about error messages and the overall system, the better we will be able to help you out.

BullittSleuth

Established Member
I bet the Sims game is looking for the old drive name "C: D:" etc. When you added the Hard drive it would rename your CD drive to a new letter.

I would first try seeing if you run the game's install program if there is a "repair" option. If not you can reinstall and try to back up your saved games, or call EA and see if they can walk you through a method to manually change the Drive letter it's looking for.

Hope that helps!

SohowcomeHottie

SVT Goddess
Established Member
I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times, maybe when Zach gets home he can explain more of the technical issues because I am not as smart in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread