Computer Question

randyp97svt

Established Member
I was given a Dell power edge 2600 sever due to my company upgrading their equipment. I have xp installed, put in a 256mb ATI video card,USB 2.0 card and it and seems to be running good so far. My question is it has 1 PCI slot and I think 6 PCI-X slots, what is the difference between the 2 and what else can I do to upgarde the machine or am I wasting my time/Money on it.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Might not be a bad deal if your actually going to use it as a server. The hot-swappable SCSI interfaces on those make for massive speed and storage. What are your intentions with it?

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
PCI-X is basically PCI 2.0. It's suppose to be a bit faster than normal PCI slots. Most PCI cards nowadays are PCI 2.2 anyways. They are backwards compatible so a normal PCI card will work in a PCI-X slot. Only downside is if you have several PCI and PCI-X cards they will all run at the speed of the slowest one. I am sure if you're just planning on surfing the web and such you wont notice much of a difference.

JasonSnake

Established Member
That thing must be pretty loud with a few high speed SCSI drives in there

wvmystichrome

Established Member
That thing must be pretty loud with a few high speed SCSI drives in there

I have 5 HUGE servers and one big 1.5 tb NAS box here about 10 feet from my desk. They all have hot swappable SCSI drives (about 18) and I honestly have never heard them. Just because they are SCSI doesn't mean they are loud.

Users who are viewing this thread