Computer Question

03BlkCobra1

Established Member
Ok I'm trying to clean up my girl's computer a bit get some of the spyware and stuff off it. Can anyone recommend any free sites or programs that gets rid of spyware easily that you dont have to be to involved with so it doesn't mess anything up?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The Trend Micro Housecall is a must. Start with that.

Then go to www.majorgeeks.com and download

CCleaner (crap cleaner)

Advanced Windows Care

Both of the above work great together and generally keep everything out.
I'm not a fan of Spybot or AdAware, as they have not worked for me in the past, but a lot of people like them.

Also, AVG Free is a great firewall.

AVG Free, CCleaner, Advanced Windows Care...has worked for me for 4+ years. Even when I scanned with the Housecall, I found no issues. I've also done scans with other software and not found any issues. CCleaner also provides a great registry scanner. AWC also provides simple aid in several other categories as well.

Good luck.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
+ Another on the Trendmicro software. I bought and paid for it for the last 2 years and it really works great. I am now using Panda full suite of programs for A/V, Spam, Spyware and firewall. It is an excellant product and worth the purchase. They even have a free online scanner also.

03BlkCobra1

Established Member
she has a full version of norton (not my fav) but ive used the adaware and there is still like 112 things of spyware on the computer. Used the panda free antivirus and that cleaned the rest of the viruses off the computer. Ill try the spyware stuff listed and I appreciate it guys thanks for the help.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Panda is ok as well. I know a couple of people using it with good success.

Norton can be a PITA and isn't always fully effective.

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Norton doesn't work for a lot of people for a few reasons.

They don't understand the basics of firewalling configuration or viral scanners, and the program is memory-intensive on older computers.
Some folks don't want to pay the bucks it entails to get some of the best information on the 'Net about security problems which will be found on Symantec's Security Response webpages.

People will look for something free before they bother to pay for it .... and who wants to learn how to look for, then manually edit a registry entry?
Not all software is engineered to do the same things. I used to use a firewall recommended to me by a friend called "Black Ice Defender", and I found out it was practically worthless against spyware or programs already in the computer.

I dumped it, and went back to a software firewall doing inspection of both incoming & outgoing packets and service requests on my network connection.

The trick is being a little more discriminating on downloads, freeware, and such. AOL, Kazaa, and Kazaa Lite are just some of the killers out there...

Two thumbs-up to SpyBot, LavaSoft, and the TrendMicro stuff though...I use it, too. Great for sweeping tracking cookies or finding TSR's running in the background.

BM1

Established Member
Spybot
Spy Sweeper
Ad-Aware
HiJackThis
ADSpy
KazaaBGone
Trend Micro Anti-Spyware
CW Shredder
eWido
Spyware Doctor
Norton Online Scan
Trend Micro's Housecall
Counterspy
Kaspersky Online Scan
Panda Online Scan
McAfee Online Scan
Windows Defender

anaxagoras

Established Member
i like spybot search and destroy, ad-aware, and hijack this.

I also boot the machine in safe mode when using them.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Mo Boost said:
and who wants to learn how to look for, then manually edit a registry entry?

More to the point the average person has absolutely no business messing around in the registry. That will get them into a LOT more trouble with their computer than a little spyware will.

I'm a fan of eWidio personally, although I'm not sure that it is available for free.

YoungJim

Established Member
Get rid of f*cking Internet Explorer. Get Firefox, here. Its a very easy learning curve, everything acts the same, just much more secure. Once I started using it Adaware stopped finding anything on my computer, although I do still look!

Users who are viewing this thread