Computer Pro's......

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
My laptop wont come out sleep mode once i shut the screen and try to reopen it. When i hit the power button to bring it out of sleep mode all i get is a black screen with a blinking underscore. This only happened after the recent update done for Windows XP. I have to restart the computer every time I want to use it again. Any ideas?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
What model laptop do you have?

Visit the mfg support site and do a search for an updated lid policy. This policy is used by the latptop to tell the unit to wake up or fall asleep when the lid is opened or closed.

I wouldn't hurt to get all the other updates as well.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Go into settings, control panel, display, screen saver, power. Change the what to do when lap top lid is closed to...Do Nothing. That should help you not to go in sleep/hibernation mode.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
If you updated to SP3, that was the problem. I did that for my laptop (laptop is 6 years old) and it started getting the blue screen. I'll just stick with SP2. There might be a fix for you, but I don't know that much to give it to you. :beer:

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
I dont want to keep it from going into sleep mode when i close the lid because then it would just run all night and use power/get hot. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5100. Roughly 6 years old. I just updated to the SP3 and this happens. Any idea how to undo the update? It erased all my restore points when i updated to SP3.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
google your laptop and all kinds of similar errors with solutions will come up.

my keyboard was sticking on my laptop...about every 3rd keystroke would skip....i found if you remove the battery...it stops and it worked,,,,imagine that

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I dont want to keep it from going into sleep mode when i close the lid because then it would just run all night and use power/get hot. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5100. Roughly 6 years old. I just updated to the SP3 and this happens. Any idea how to undo the update? It erased all my restore points when i updated to SP3.

When it happened to mine I was in the middle of redoing it after a virus. So I had no problem reformatting the harddrive a second time and starting over. How long has it been since you've done a format? You might want to back up the important things and reformat the hard drive.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
When it happened to mine I was in the middle of redoing it after a virus. So I had no problem reformatting the harddrive a second time and starting over. How long has it been since you've done a format? You might want to back up the important things and reformat the hard drive.

I've never reformatted. How is it done? I link that and erasing my computer together so i avoid it.:D

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
It sounds like to me, your hard drive isn't coming out of sleep mode.

Make sure the option is turned off.

You can do this by going to the control panel/power options.

window.gif

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I've never reformatted. How is it done? I link that and erasing my computer together so i avoid it.:D

Never ...in six years? If you haven't done it, its hard to explain. But it SHOULD be done. I'd do it for you if you were close. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread