Computer problem, geeks needed.

Big Man

Fill r Up!
Established Member
I replaced 2-512MB ram sticks with 4-1GB sticks to give my computer 4 gigs of ram. Well after I get them installed, the damn thing would only read 3GB instead of 4. So I arrange them differently and it still reads 3GB. Then I check each one by only have one installed at a time and everything was fine there. Now Im getting pissed so I look at the instructions and it said the the CMOS needs to be reset when changing the ram.

Ok, so now I reset the CMOS and turn the computer on. Damn thing just beeps and nothing else. I then take out 2 sticks and it loads up just fine. I put the 2 sticks back in and it beeps again. So now the damn thing won't even start up with 4 in there. WTF is wrong with this thing? Please help. I don't want $400 to go down the drain.

KDog

Established Member
What is your system mainboard's max RAM capacity?

Have you checked for BIOS updates from the board manufacturer's or system builder's website?

thrillious

Established Member
I would vote that to, There are very few motherboard out there that can support 4 gigs of ram, I dont even know an application where you would actually get an advantage of using that much ram, Personally i think its a waste, 2 gig is more then enough to be fine, i dont think u are doing anything that crazy that you would even need more then 1 gig.

I would see if you could return you gig sticks and if u really want some good ram if your mother board supports it get dual Channel ddr, 2 gigs of that and you will have a sick amout of speed, that is if you dont have a CPU bottle neck or mother board bottle neck.

-Kevin

Big Man

Fill r Up!
Established Member
Ok, I updated the BIOS and cleared the CMOS memory again. It will read 4GB in DOS but still reads 3GB in Windows. The manual saids that the motherboard does support up to 4GB of ram. Its a Abit AV8 motherboard with a AMD 64 3500+ processor.

KDog

Established Member
If I recall, there were a couple of tweaks to XP you could do in order for it to recognize the extra gig. Search around and you'll probably find it. There's 4GB "limit" in 32-bit Windows you have to work around. You might give the 64-bit version a try. :)

lxfiveoh

Established Member
Have to take into consideration that the motherboard will store some memory for PCI requests and IIRC. But the entire gig shouldnt be missing.

Users who are viewing this thread