computer people in here...

mattb21

Established Member
So my brother decided to buy a laptop today along with a wireless router. The problem is I can't get the internet to work at all on the laptop. I can plug an ethernet cable into the computer and get internet just fine from the router but it doesnt work wirelessly for the laptop. So I decided to try and plug the ethernet directly into the laptop and it the browser didnt work. And the laptop has windows vista so I dont know a whole lot about it, having never used that OS before.

Any ideas?

JasonSnake

Established Member
A lot of people overlook one thing on their new laptops. Most of the time there is a wireless switch somewhere on the outside of the computer. Look for this little button and set it to On.

mattb21

Established Member
Im not really sure about that.. What do you mean? I can look up the connection on the laptop and it says that the wireless router is working and gives me the option to connect to it. But after I do that and open the internet it just says Internet Explorer cannot show this page or something like incorrect web address

Last edited:

mattb21

Established Member
A lot of people overlook one thing on their new laptops. Most of the time there is a wireless switch somewhere on the outside of the computer. Look for this little button and set it to On.

I thought about that already when my brother called me askin for help but its already turned on.

JDStud6

Established Member

I dont think thats it. Although his grammar skills suck, I believe he said he plugged into the router with a cat5 cable and had the same issue.

JD

JDStud6

Established Member
OP - So you are not able to get online with either the wired or wireless connection?

open a command prompt, and type 'ipconfig' and see what it says. Does it give you an IP???

JD

mattb21

Established Member
OP - So you are not able to get online with either the wired or wireless connection?

open a command prompt, and type 'ipconfig' and see what it says. Does it give you an IP???

JD

It does pop up with an ip and quite a few things but the wireless one is included in there.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
OK,

One more request:

1. Goto START menu
  2. Click on RUN...
  3. In the RUN window, enter in CMD in the "Open:" text box
  4. Once the black command window opens, type in

TRACERT google.com

then hit enter
  5. Post up the results

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I would connect to the router and make sure the wireless properties don't have an access list set. If you connect through Ethernet but not wireless, then it is a wireless problem.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I would connect to the router and make sure the wireless properties don't have an access list set. If you connect through Ethernet but not wireless, then it is a wireless problem.

I don't think it's connecting via CAT 5 cable to the back of the wireless router either.

We'll see once he does a TRACERT if he's even getting to a router. It actually sounds like he's got a wireless router connected to another router.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
One more thing, Matt,

Complete the following TRACERT command:

TRACERT 72.14.207.99

and post up the results.

mattb21

Established Member
When I did TRACERT google.com it said Unable to resolve target system name google.com

And with TRACERT 72.14.207.99 it make a list of 1 2 3 4 etc.. and in a line after each of the numbers it left 3 starts and said Request times out.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I don't think it's connecting via CAT 5 cable to the back of the wireless router either.

We'll see once he does a TRACERT if he's even getting to a router. It actually sounds like he's got a wireless router connected to another router.

Ya, I miss read his post. He said he plugged Ethernet through his computer and got internet, but nothing through laptop.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
You can try this: Go to the Control Panel> System> Click the Hardware Tab> Device Manager> and make sure your wireless network stuff is enabled.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
When I did TRACERT google.com it said Unable to resolve target system name google.com

And with TRACERT 72.14.207.99 it make a list of 1 2 3 4 etc.. and in a line after each of the numbers it left 3 starts and said Request times out.

So you get a timeout after line/list item 1?

If so, in the command line (blinking cursor in the black command window) type:

ipconfig /all

Post up the COMPLETE findings for everything you get in the results. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread