Computer Help Needed In Here

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
EATONSRT said:
http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=taskxr5.png

This is what is running for processes on my comp. What are all the svchost thing running? They make my comp run full out at 100% but i cant figure out what they are. Any help is appreciated.

What does it run at without adaware running? Adaware generally sucks up a bunch of memory. Also how much memory do you have?:shrug:

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
i just shut ad aware and now svchost.exe being run by SYSTEM is using 99% of my capacity. For memory it says i have 523,605 K of physical memory total and 218,XXX K available.

Last edited:

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
EATONSRT said:
i just shut ad aware and now svchost.exe being run by SYSTEM is using 99% of my capacity. For memory it says i have 523,605 K of physical memory total and 218,XXX K available.

So you have 512mb of memory and 218 available, which is normal. Your running processes are relatively low, 24 is really good. Im at a loss here :shrug:

Have you run a virus scan lately?

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
Yes and they come up empty. Why do i have so many svchost.exe's running and what do they do? Like 10 of them runnning.

PDubs

Established Member
You got one running at 54M? I suspect either something running w/o your knowledge. If adaware isn't picking up anything, and you're running XP (or similar), do a Start --> Run, type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Go to your startup tab and see what's loading on your computer when Windows loads.

chevytosvt

Guns go bang
Established Member
PDubs said:
You got one running at 54M? I suspect either something running w/o your knowledge. If adaware isn't picking up anything, and you're running XP (or similar), do a Start --> Run, type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and hit enter. Go to your startup tab and see what's loading on your computer when Windows loads.

Yeah what he said, It is odd though, you only have 24 processes running. Im thinking you have something that Adaware isnt catching. I have never seen a SVC Host that large. :shrug:

Here is what an SVC host is Click me

Last edited:

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
Normally svchost.exe is a legitimate Windows Operating System process it basically allows the Windows Operating System to execute the DLL files that are on the system. So the problem could be any number of things basically anything on the system that uses dll file could be causing it to hang up. Have you installed any new hardware or software recently? Does it occur even after you reboot. I have had the same thing happen on my pc everyonce in awhile but by killing the process it toasts my soundcard until i reboot so i would not recommend stopping it. If it occurs after reboot I would suggest you try to do a Windows Restore back before your last software/hardware installation or to a time when you remember it not happening. Unfortunately it is a difficult problem to troubleshoot this way but if none of the above works you can try to narrow down which services are using the svchost.exe and then disable the uneeded ones.

Note: it is possible that a virus could attached itself to this and cause the problem also. If you have up to date virus software and so forth i would probably guess this is least likely the problem. Let us know what happens.

If you do the following command at the Command Prompt it will give you an idea of what is running under that process

tasklist /svc

Also check out the guys link above me it will give you more info on the svchost.exe :) Good luck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread