Computer Guru's help please

slick0478

Established Member
Hey I need some help

I have a Dell Latitude lap-top (I don't know whats in it)
but is has Xp pent4 and god knows what else _ I know nothing about computers except how to surf the net and basic stuff.

Well my problem is it seems like it takes for ever to load when you first start it, the little hourglass goes for like 1-2 min before letting you pick a program to run.
I have it hooked up to a wireless router it says the connection is good and 54.0mbps or something like that for speed once it is connected.
Is there anything I can do to make it start faster. I know I could just leave it on but me and the wife share it and always shut it off completely when we are not using it.
Any help is appreciated
Slick

svtcobras

www.htsracing.com
Established Member
Re

That depends on the Starting applications....
Try starting in safe mode to see if it boots up faster. (it should)
You might want to look in your program files to see what kind of "junk" is installed and go from there.

If your notebook never leaves the house, I would leave it on, 24/7, that will insure you get your antivirus updates and windows updates, unless of course you do not have either enabled.

Last edited:

kball

Banned
I would try looking at what you have starting up when you turn on your computer. Click on Start........Run......then type msconfig Click on the tab labled Startup. Disable everything you don't need there. For instance, the only thing I have is my anti-virus. That should help some. Hope this helps.

kball

Banned
I would try looking at what you have starting up when you turn on your computer. Click on Start........Run......then type msconfig Click on the tab labled Startup. Disable everything you don't need there. For instance, the only thing I have is my anti-virus. That should help some. Hope this helps.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
there are any number of things that can cause this .. as has been said check your startup programs, also install a spyware removal tool like spybot and run it regularly spyware will slow a computer down to a crawl

slick0478

Established Member
Thanks
I guess I could leave it on all the time but, I thought it would be bad for the battery to just leave it plugged in.
I never looked at the msconfig deal like I said I'm not too good with these things I don't want to mess something up.
I have spyzapper or something whatever AOL gives you, plus Macaffee (sp) anitvirus with Aol and on my own acct.
I don't know but it has done it since I got it so I don't know if you can get infected from the factory. I am leaning towards the config there are alot of programs I don't even use or even know how to use. I only use exel,word and some photo stuff that came with my HP printer and of course the internet. I know there are like 20 icons on the screen when it goes on, So do all of these start all the time or only when I click to use them.
I will look into all your guys/gals suggestions
I hope it works
thanks again
Slick

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
The above guys just about have you covered. Also be sure & clean your history tracks & cookies at least weekly.
Go to start All Programs, then Accesories, then click on Disk Clean up. Let it detect what you have, then it will give you a pop up box, be sure & click on all of the selections & then let it do it's thing.

Also after that, simply go back to start, programs, accessories & then try the Defrag. Start with the C drive first. It will let you know if it needs it or not.

Now when you do that run, then msconfig, then Startup, if you are not sure what the meanings of them are, it would be wiser not to unclick them.
For instance, if you don't want Windows Media Player to load when you computer starts, then unclick it. AOL has Quicktime loading for you at start up.
Quicktime's abreviation is qttask, unclick it, you can manually start it if you need it.

If you need anymore help, feel free to PM me.

Happy New Year!

z06_23_45

Established Member
kball83 said:

This is a good suggestion, but don't just take everything out. You don't want to disable anything important.

Users who are viewing this thread