Compression Test Results

SVTcobra2

Established Member
Alright as i stated in another thread, my car has been smoking recently and its not just a poof at startup. Now it pretty much does it the whole time. I even saw some smoke coming out the pipe after the car was off. About the same time this happened i think my cat on the passenger side has been rattling. Now the car doesnt sound the same. I sounds deeper and more like a H pipe than an X(i have a X). Now there seems to be some loss in power also. Anyways i got a compression test and these were the results.
Dry Wet
1=180 195
2=183 200
3=183 200
4=160 190
5=170 183
6=175 195
7=172 200
8=167 180
I called another shop and they it shouldnt be my piston rings with those results. What the hell could it be? Im really wondering if my cat has something to with it in some weird way.

SVTcobra2

Established Member
one of the the shop boys(not the mechanic) told me the plugs did look like they had oil on them, but i dont recall if it was wet. i dont remember it being wet when i pulled it. would new plugs possible help?

is there ANY was my cat could be doing some of this? it pretty much started at the same time. i dont get it. it sometimes sounds like the cat is rattling. my motor feels as if its being restricted and sounds different out the exhuast?

SVTcobra2

Established Member
do yall think new plugs could help?

the smoke is pretty much white. thing is it still comes out of the exhaust some after the car is off?

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
check the IAC valve for proper operation. White is lean. check all your fuel injectors and pump, pressure switch.

SVTcobra2

Established Member
im sure its not just because of the cold. before it got bad i tried to, but its too thick and smells, plus the car sounds different and lost some power.

so noone thinks my cat could be somewhat of a cause? i am 95% sure my cat is busted.

whitevenom99

Established Member
If it is oil smoke I would go with valve seals. My wifes smokes sometimes at startup. It smokes more when i drive it (maybe tryin to tell me somethin) If I am on it and come to a light it will smoke for a min. I am waitin till the summer to build her an engine.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
im sure its not just because of the cold. before it got bad i tried to, but its too thick and smells, plus the car sounds different and lost some power.

so noone thinks my cat could be somewhat of a cause? i am 95% sure my cat is busted.

I'd have the cat checked first....if you are hearing noise from the cat or on that side and you have a loss of power, it could very well be as simple as a clogged cat. Take a rubber mallet and tap on the cat. If you hear stuff rattling around in there, good chance it's busted iup in there and clogging it up.

This may not solve your smoking issue though..sounds like you may have two different problems going on...

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
come again?

White/lt grey is indicative of a lean condition? more like a blown headgasket

elyrain

Established Member
Mine blew white/lt grey before the motor went, bad valve seals, was burning oil like a mofo. So it lead to a spun rod bearing.

SVTcobra2

Established Member
alright i know i have an x-pipe, but when i left my house it was only smoking some out of the drivers side at idle, but when i got back it was only out of the passenger's side at idle. when i started it at work it only puffed some out and didn't seem to smoke at idle. it mainly smoked when leaving from a stop. wtf:shrug:

i think my loss in power came back since i switched back to 5w20 synthetic and drove for a little. the smoke has also decreased. i used to run Mobil 1 5w30, tried switching to non synthetic 10w30 and it got worse, so i went to Mobil 1 5w20 and it has gone away some again.

i might try to get a video clip tomorrow if that helps.

alright and it doesn't seem to burn coolant and i am gonna check the oil in a few minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread